18. Safe Haven

Spy Games 4.01

Most of it is not her fault, but it is funny that no matter what they do, they are running from someone. This is definitely not the summer she was expecting to have but she can't lie, it is one of the best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So there's a moment in every kid's life when you feel like anything's possible. When you feel like you've got the total mojo. You could, we don't know, free-climb El Capitan, land on Mars, or, uh...get elected president. The whole world's there for the taking if you've got the sack to go for it.

And then, when you least expect it, some Kook shows up and tells you there's no eternal mystery. And then all that talk about free-climbing and Mars and President..bullshit.

Magic gets cancer and dies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          As Pope maneuvers the drone past the ship, using the metal detector feature, the excitement and happiness slowly starts to fade from the sibling's faces. There is supposed to be four hundred million dollars worth of gold buried within the Royal Merchant, but the drone isn't picking up on it. Not even the slightest blip on the radar, nothing is coming up. It is supposed to be here. They are supposed to find it. Everything in the last week has led up to this moment, but as Pope drives past the ship for a third time, it becomes obvious it was all for nothing. There is nothing down there and they have been risking their lives for nothing. John B has risked his sister's life, the one person he is supposed to be protecting, on multiple occasions, for nothing. "It's not there." He breaths out, not loud enough for anyone to hear. "Look, just, just pull the drone up." He finally says, completely defeated. Every bone in his body is telling him to keep searching. Maybe, just maybe it is down there and they missed it but they don't have all day, especially with the storm clouds getting closer and closer. They need to leave soon, before their lives are on the line for something that doesn't even exist again. "Shit."

          "Fuck." Casey mumbles to herself as she stands up and walks over to the side of the boat. She leans her arms next to the nine chalk markings and looks down, as if she will be able to see the ship in the water. The same thing cursing John B's thoughts is now cursing her's. The ship is supposed to fix everything. It is supposed to give them a life without all of this chaos and running. It is supposed to change everything. "Damn it!" She yells as she slams her fists against the boat, the disappointment and anger becoming too much for her. She is usually good at keeping control of her anger, but right now, she can't help it. She can't help the pure hatred coursing through her veins.

          "Look, we can do another pass, recharge the battery." Pope says, trying to reassure the two as John B walks away from the group toward the back of the boat, ignoring his sister's outburst. "We can, we can go back down." Pope continues, hoping to get through to either sibling, but neither are listening to him.

          "Guys, we've been through it three times. There's nothing there." JJ yells from the enclosed area. He has yet to leave the wheel, since the waves are still picking up, but he needs them to see it how he does. He glances back at his friends, hoping at least one of them is on his side but he is met with Kiara and Pope not knowing what to do.

          His eyes drift from the middle of the boat to the girl leaning against the side and knows he pissed her off. The second he said there's nothing there, her head snapped up and toward him. Yes, she agrees with him, but she doesn't need to be hearing it right now. Thankfully, before she can say anything, Kiara comes to the siblings' defense, turning what could easily be a fight between Casey and JJ, to herself. "Shut up!"