Scampering thing lurched forward again, immediately to be outpaced by the one on two feet. Angry hissing came from all over the place, tippy tapping noise multiplied too – even from up ahead. Shit was getting real and he was walking... right at it? Could he even see where he was going, through all this noise? This was probably going there anyway, but I didn't exactly desire to be carried into some big maw.

I turned away from the blackness back to my associate, "He probably took offence to what you did to the shoes. Those aren't sandals, yo."

There was another flat pause and I was starting to get disappointed my jabs weren't landing anywhere at all. It was far harder to cope when even my out loud thoughts just bounced back to me.

Eventually echoing growling formed into, "I'd grow actual eyes to see that thing wearing shoes."

The air rushed out of me in almost a laugh. Relief. But, yeah. The thought appealed to me as well. If I was going to be killed by an unspeakable abomination, I'd want it to at least wear something ridiculous. Flip-flops and a hat? Make that terrifying.

"Your fashion sense is not to be lauded either," I admonished. "Ragged cloak? Middle Ages ended centuries ago."

"They're making a comeback," the reverberations told me and I frowned. And just whose fault was that?

Without giving me chance to retort, he'd slammed into something instead of leaping away like usual. Hissing was still universally present so it had to happen sooner or later. This was it, then. I put all my brainpower into imagining straw hats on them both.

"Ladies, ladies! No need to fight, there's enough of me for everyone," I bravely yelped, enduring another slam, hiss, gurgling roar, crunching, slurping and something wet dribbling down onto me. It felt irritating on my skin and outright burnt the fresh scratches.

While I wasn't concentrating, it was all over and my cabbie sprinted away from all the noise. I was still rubbing the mystery liquid off my skin onto both mine and his clothes. Mostly his.

"You flatter yourself. There's barely enough of you for an animal," collected grumbling informed me.

"Depends on the animal," I shot back. "There are no bears around or anything. Rest would need a group to finish me in one sitting."

"If there was, perhaps you humans wouldn't be so pathetic now."

Then we'd probably be extinct, but I conceded the point in favour of a more optimistic reality, supplied by the ancient dread.

There was more noise in the dead of night, but just one another thing dared to challenge the porter. That one was resolved much quicker and less eventfully. And I couldn't even tell how. Perhaps they... talked it out? I didn't even get a chance to be a smartass.

I passed out again out of exhaustion at sunrise. Woke up in a drizzle. My parched lips parted and I wished for a downpour. How long will this go on? This was starting to be as uncomfortable and as painful as being left back there. If I don't say anything, perhaps I could die of dehydration? Could check and see whether his claims about revival are true. But if so then I'd have suffered for nothing and I'm all about feeling acceptable right now.

"What do I need to do for water?" expecting the worst I croaked out. I could imagine what human would want, this thing though – who knows? Stick my hand in his cakehole again? Because for sure it wouldn't ask for a cake.

"You need to look for it in the bag," creature answered and for the first time I'd noticed a strap over his shoulder.

"Oh," I couldn't help but express a surprise. "Can I get my other hand free?" I asked whilst still basking in the unprecedented generosity of my lord and master.