THE RESCUE

"You're a traitor

"You're a traitor. Why didn't you wake me up?" Samayara asked, her voice laced with a tiredness as she was covered herself in the blanket. She resembled a baby searching for her mother. A chuckle escaped before I could stop it.

"What's so funny?" she demanded, glaring at me.

"You," I answered, and she looked at me, clearly puzzled, before nestling down beside me.

"Evyaan, go to sleep now," she commanded, stifling a huge yawn before handing me the blanket.

The fatigue was catching up to her, and I could see her eyelids drooping, the fight leaving her.

"I don't want to—" I began to protest, but she cut me off with a sleepy, half-hearted shush.

"Don't argue with me right now. You even gave me the blanket. Who will be responsible if you catch a cold?" she argued, her tone tinged with anger before another yawn escaped her.

"You'd sleep if I let you guard, and I wasn't even feeling a bit cold" I stated, and she set the blanket aside.

"Oh, so you don't trust me enough? Fine, just sit there and guard," she snapped, her eyes flashing with hurt as she stood up abruptly, her movements stiff with offense.

"It's only right if we both share," I insisted, and she mumbled something but complied, sitting back down.

"Are you really not cold?" she asked sleepily, pulling the blanket over both of us.

Her messy hair, sleepy face, and swollen lips. My heart skipped a beat with her so close to me.

"Not really, but this is better," I replied, feeling my cheeks on fire.

"Let me know if you're uncomfortable," I added, shifting even closer to make sure we were both fully covered. She simply nodded, her eyes already half-closed.

"You were cold, weren't you?" she murmured as I settled under the blanket.

"Not really," I dodged her question.

"Admitting it won't hurt your popularity, Ace Evyaan," she teased, tying her hair into a loose ponytail, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Not that I care about it anyway," I whispered back, a small smile tugging at my lips as I met her gaze.

We attempted various activities for the time being like zoning out, zoning out, and zoning out, but each one led me to sleep. The silence seemed unbearable until Samayara broke it.

"So, the mountain girl's name is Aadhisha?" she initiated the conversation without shifting her gaze from the sky.

"I was so scared to ask her," she confessed.

"Why were you scared to ask someone's name?" I inquired, half-chuckling.

"Because I thought I might annoy her. Ugh, you won't understand. You're popular, extroverted, and friendly," she sighed.