|Chapter 30|

[][][][]

Downtown Happy Harbor; November 5th; 15:00 EDT (3:00 pm)

It had been a few weeks now after everything happened with my kidnapping and the reality split.

We were quickly getting back into things and decided that we needed a day to just be kids and to help Zatanna with the loss of her dad. So Wally had a few ideas...

"Are you sure we have everything?" Artemis asked for the fifth time since we left.

"Art, it's a bit too late to ask that, we're almost at the place anyways, let's just wing it." I told her, lightly punching her arm to get her to relax a little.

"Zane is right, what's the harm in having things go wrong every once in a while." Robin shrugs while swaying with the picnic basket we filled up earlier for our trip.

Wally had planned a picnic into a camping trip hangout for everyone to get closer to Zatanna and take a breather with all the missions and craziness. I actually felt proud of Wally for coming up with something simple, easy, and fun to do.

I never had a picnic or went camping so I was practically bouncing with excitement and so was Megan who never went camping. Connor was harder to read, but he didn't go against it. In fact he offered to carry more of the heavy camping equipment like the tents and stuff.

"That should not be the mentality that you have Rob." Wally scolds, giving him a look.

"What! It's true, we all live hero lives, admit it, we all need chaos to function." He says, doing his gremlin laugh as everyone else sighs at his antics.

"Robin is right," Kaldur steps into the conversation. " I think we are use to the danger in our lives now. It would be uncomfortable to try to be normal."

"Well that's what we're having, a normal teenage hang out day!" Megan exclaims, pulling on the straps on her camping bag and occasionally jumping and floating in the air.

"Look! We're almost there! Just around this part." Wally points out, before breaking into a light jog to get around the last stretch of the path we were taking.

Everyone got excited and we quicken our steps to catch up with Wally at the top of the path. When we walked up to the very top we all slowed down as we saw the view that Wally picked. It was so... amazing! Everything was so bright from the sun getting ready to set, the city was becoming more busy for the late night rush, and the bugs and birds were being loud and obnoxious.

"Trust me, it's gonna become even better when the sun starts to set. It took me a week to find the perfect spot to camp and have a picnic at." Wally shoves off his backpack and goes to Robin to take the picnic basket from his hands while Kaldur walks over to him so they could figure out where to set up the picnic.

The rest of us grouped up with Connor and placed all of our bags into a pile.

"Are we gonna unpack the camping stuff after the picnic?" I ask, reaching out and taking the cooler of drinks from Zatanna's hands and wheeling it over to Kaldur and Wally, who were still trying to figure out where to place the blanket.

"I know I'm setting up after we eat, we just hiked all the way up here with no brakes!" Artemis complained before directing her next comment at the boys still holding the blanket. "And Wally! Just put the blanket down anywhere, I'm sure the four of us don't care." She finishes while motioning towards herself, Rob, me, and Zatanna.

"I'm trying to get the right spot for the sunset, Artemis!" Wally shot back. But before they finished, er, started their back and forth, I stepped in.

'It's becoming too natural for me to mediate, I'm the youngest here!'

"Wally, it's fine, I'm sure we'll be able to see it. If not, we could always move to watch, let's just eat before we all get cranky."

We packed a lot of different food, and by we I mean me, Megan, and Kaldur. And a lot of the food we did pack was mainly for Connor and Wally, that's why Connor offered to do the heavy lifting and why Wally picked the spots to eat and camp at.

We gathered around in a somewhat close circle around the picnic baskets on the blanket and unpacked the food to start eating and sharing funny stories and adventures that they went on.

I would glance at Zatanna to make sure she was included and was having fun with everyone, as well as trying to get her to share some stories as well so we could know her a little more.

Stories were shared about superpower/superhero fails, normal everyday mishaps and the likes.

Like Wally falling up or down stairs because he was trying to move too quickly, Robin dropping a whole carton of eggs trying to help cook, Kaldur accidently misspeaking Atlantean when he was too tired to think in English. Megan with her many mishaps of setting fires when she was learning new baking recipes, Connor not knowing his strength and breaking things around the cave, and me forgetting every and anything, important dates of holidays, a topic I was just talking about, and more.

It would normally make for a funny scenario for everyone when that happens, because they would just laugh and try to make me remember or play charades with me. But I'm horrible at charades so that makes it worse!

"We should set up soon, it's getting late, unless you guys wanna sleep under the stars." Artemis reminds us. We had talked for so long the sunset was minutes away from fully dropping and leaving only the bright moon in the sky.

"Hey, sleeping under the stars doesn't sound like a bad thing at all." Wally defended, and because we all knew that this back and forth would lead into them arguing for hours, the rest stood to pack away what was left and get a trash bag from the picnic bag to get rid of what was left.

Me, Connor, and Kaldur went to clear spaces for the tarps and the fire, while Robin, Zatanna, and Megan went to get dry wood. We would leave the rest of the picnic packing to Wally and Artemis since they're adamant on finishing their 'conversation'.

To say we needed this day to just have fun was an understatement. I know that by tomorrow things will go back to normal with everyone being busy and me starting back school again, but for now I just want to sit by my friends at the fire under the stars and tell not so scary stories till morning.

I just hope that I'll be ready for the years ahead.

[][][][]

[END]

[This is the end to book 1]

[Bonus & Special Thanks will come out next week]

[Thank you for reading and the kind words you all said throughout, it always help to motivate me!]