Chapter 18

Tessa-Present

I wouldn't wish finding someone who has overdosed on anyone. It's something that still haunts me to this day.

I didn't know what him waking up would mean. I didn't understand what his body would go through. I didn't understand that he would be begging for drugs after they almost just killed him. I didn't understand how mean he would be. I didn't understand any of it. Other than what it did to me. It left me numb. Completely numb.

Numb.

I left the hospital that day numb.

I wasn't heartbroken. I didn't cry. I didn't feel anything. I just felt numb.

The guy I just spent the last year and a half loving destroyed me in a way that left me unable to feel anything at all.

Other than nothing.

So to be here now a month later knowing he got out of rehab today. He is back in the same town as me, he's in Seattle living with Christian....

And all I have to do is stay in the same mindset I've been in since that day.

The mindset that Hardin Scott means nothing to me. He's a horrible person. And I can't forget that. I hate him. That can't change.

Plus I'm happy. I'm really, really happy. I'm not saying Easton and I are in a relationship. Because truly I'm not ready for that. But I'm saying I like spending time with him. And I am not talking to anyone else.

And it's summer, so I just want to have fun. Focus on myself...focus on work. And work on figuring out who I am without anyone else.

The weekend passes and it was relatively uneventful. I went to a party with my new roommate Alex. And Sunday I stayed in and cleaned the apartment, and then Easton came over Sunday night and we watched a movie.

Today I'm back in the office. And I must say since what Hardin said in the hospital...Vance and Kim have been very respectful of not mentioning Hardin.

The only reason I knew Vance was getting Hardin from rehab was because it was on his calendar.

One thing that has weighed on me heavy is the fact that Hardin is Vance's son. But again, not my business. He is not my business.

We have our morning meeting in a few minutes, so I'm grabbing more coffee.

I get into our meeting room with my coffee and I'm the last one to sit down besides Vance.

"We can get started." Kim says.

"What about Vance?" I question.

"He's going to be working from home this week?...we have him on a video call for the meeting ." She replies turning her laptop showing Vance who is waving back.

"Good morning everyone." Vance says addressing the group.

I quickly wonder if he is working from home because of Hardin...he has to be. He's never worked from home before. He probably doesn't trust him to be alone.

I need to stop thinking about Hardin.

And I do a good job the rest of the day at work I focus on work.

I focus on work until I get flowers delivered at work.

Flowers with a note.

'meet me at galt river at 8pm.'

If it wasn't the week Hardin was in town I would automatically assume Easton.

But Hardin is back and I receive these mysterious flowers telling me to meet somewhere...