Chapter 18

Anticipation runs through your veins
As you count down the hours and days,
Preparing for that magical moment
When your souls will once again blaze

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aarthi POV

I woke up at 6 a.m. because the idiot donkey face Gautham called me at 5 a.m. to tell me that we had to go to the temple of Lord Venkateswara Swami.

As I sat at the dining table, the morning was silent, and I was about to take my first bite when my mom's voice shattered the peace.

"Aarthi, how long are you going to stay jobless? You need to start thinking about your future and make some plans," her words hung in the air, leaving me feeling trapped and powerless once again.

I looked down at my half-eaten breakfast, her words heavy on my heart.

"Mom, I am trying my best." I tried to interject, but she kept going, not giving me a chance to express my point of view.

"It's been months, Aarthi. You need to be more proactive. You can't just sit around all day," she added, frustration evident in her tone.

I felt the weight of her expectations pressing down on me, suffocating me.

"I'm trying, Mom. It's not as easy as you think," I managed to say, my voice barely above a whisper, but it was quickly dismissed as she moved on to outlining all the ways I could improve my job search.

"I just don't understand why it's taking so long for you to find a job. You need to do better, Aarthi." The disappointment in her voice stung, leaving me feeling defeated.

As the tension thickened in the room, my dad remained silent, fiddling with his newspaper, offering no solace or support.

Struggling to find the words to defend myself, my heart sank, realizing that once again, my aspirations clashed with my mom's expectations.

The relentless scrutiny felt suffocating, and I couldn't bear another moment of it. Pushing my plate away, my appetite gone, I quietly excused myself from the table, leaving my breakfast untouched.

Retreating to my room, the weight of the exchange lingered, leaving me feeling resentment and a deep yearning for understanding.

I longed for a sanctuary—a place where I could gather my thoughts, regain composure, and find the space to express my feelings.

As I sat in solitude, I reflected on the repeated cycle of helplessness and disappointment. I knew I needed to find the courage to bridge the gap between my dreams and my mom's expectations.

But for now, hiding in my room was the only form of respite I could find.

However, why would fate be on my side? My phone began to beep with alerts, and I saw that it was from Gautham, who was waiting for me outside and telling me that I needed to head to the temple. There, at least, I will find tranquilly.

 There, at least, I will find tranquilly