Phone call

April 2nd, 1984
Indian Ocean
6:03am

I sat in a room full of the best of the best, waiting on viper to come in. None of us spoke, probably because we were all scared shitless. I heard sundown tap his foot nervously and coyote clear his throat at least four times in 1 minute. Suddenly the door opened and the man himself walked in.

"We all know where we're going." Was the first thing he said.

"Yes sir." We all responded.

"And we all know what we're doing."

"Yes sir."

He paused.

"You could die out here. This is dangerous. But you are the future for America, so if anyone can do it it's you guys. We've been preparing for 6 months now for this mission and not all of us will come back alive. So for that I will allow one more phone call home before departure. You have 10 minutes to get your asses into your planes and ready for take off. Time starts now ladies."

I was the first one to jump up and rush out the door. I hurried to my small bed, pictures of me and dally hanging up next to it. I typed into the phone his number and listened for the distinct ring. No answer.

"Come on.." I grunted before trying again.

"Hello?" His voice rang through my ears like adrenaline and heaven itself.

"Dally?" I spoke quickly.

"...Naomi?" He sounded more exited now.

"Yeah it's me..I had one more call before leaving."

"Leaving? What? You know what never mind- just be careful. So how are you? Is top gun still fun?"

"I'm..fine I guess, and yeah it's not bad."

"That's good.." we both paused.

I checked the time—6 minutes left.

"I sure do miss you a lot.." I said softly.

"I miss you too, and so does everyone else."

I smiled and closed my eyes, imagining I'm there next to him.

"I was thinking, once you get back..there's this new roller skating place opening downtown and it seems fun."

"I can't skate dal'.."

"Well then I'll teach you."

5 minutes left.

"Fine, but only if you buy me candy there too."

"Well that's pushing it."

We both laugh.

I did quick math to figure out how long it took me to get ready for take off, around 3 minutes. So that means I only have 2 minutes with Dallas.

"I still have that jacket. I'm wearing it for our flight today."

"Don't ruin it, I can't afford losing you and that jacket all in one."

"You won't lose either of us, trust me."

1 minute left.

"Hey dal'..?"

"Hm?"

"I love you."

There was a moment of silence.

"I love you too." He sounds like he's on the verge of tears.

"Don't die on me. If you do I won't ever be the same."

"I will never die. I'm the brightest star, remember?"

"Yeah..you are." I could just see his smile.

"Look for me in the sky.." I said finally, about to hang up.

"Will do doll, will do." And just like that I heard the line go dead.
—————-