16

Harsh rain pelted the ground like bullets

Harsh rain pelted the ground like bullets. The trees swayed against the might of the winds, ripping their green cloak off their gaunt branches. Any man would have drowned against the heavy waters ricocheting through the meadow, jostled by the roaring currents. But I pressed steadily against the storm,  gripping my sword firmly in my hands. With a spark, the blade ignited. A blue flame that the rain could not extinguish. The power surged through my veins and every cell burned with ferocity.

The impostor, a hawk demon the size of a truck, screeched at the sight of the blade's fire. That was always the initial reaction of the demons who trespassed the village. But like its kin, the demon did not retreat. It plunged down with its talons flashing, razor-sharp claws that would slice me in half if I wasn't careful. I ducked at the first attack right as the demon manoeuvred back to face me.

I gripped my sword tighter, steadying my breath under the thick pour. As I watched it dive towards me, I evaded once again, and drove my sword to his neck, slicing his head clean off and watching the rest of him disintegrate into ashes. As quickly as the storm came, it disappeared. Patches of sunlight pierced through the grey clouds. The blue sky dawned once more and the winds that ravaged the land slowed into a soft breeze.

The villagers applauded and cheered for another failed demon attack. Kaede approached me with a proud smile. "Well done," she said. I wiped the blood that stained my katana as I thanked her. We decided to skip the celebration of another victory with the village and instead, ventured into the bone-eaters well. The troubled look on my face must've been as clear as the sky was as I heard the old lady sigh. "I know that look. What is on your mind, child?" 

"Nothing," I quickly answered, but Kaede wasn't convinced. "Are you not satisfied with the progress you have made?" I immediately refuted the assumption. Kaede had been nothing but a wonderful teacher. Within days, I could feel the power everyone claimed I had. The feel of it was like a dormant hearth, warm and relaxing, with no sense of outrage or hostility. But with every swing I took, every spar I faced, the fire stirred. A power I couldn't comprehend or explain with words. All this time, the threats I've encountered were minimal. Nothing as grand as those I faced at the Panther's lair or the great yokais who could speak. Even the hawk was nothing more than an overgrown wild animal.

"You believe you're not getting strong enough." Kaede placed her hands on my shoulders. "You are too hard on yourself, Yuna. Even the most talented priestess takes years to be a warrior."

But I shook my head. It wasn't the progress at all that worried me.

"Lady Kaede, has a Miko ever gone out of control before?" Kaede blinked in confusion. I continued, "Every time I use my powers, I crave more. And every time I crave it, something loosens inside me." It was like holding a caged beast with a hundred loose chains. With every danger I put myself in, I find the chains growing weaker and thinner. A part of me begged myself to release the chains and set the power free. But if I did so, would I be able to control it?