𝟙𝟜

Picture an explosion of gold, burning the clear dome with its ethereal light and extending its warmth to the hearts of the living

Picture an explosion of gold, burning the clear dome with its ethereal light and extending its warmth to the hearts of the living. The leaves and clouds swayed in sync. A dance to honor the serenity that the sunset bestowed upon their home. If only such scenery were as majestic back at home.

I stretched a slow breath in, relishing the clean air entering my lungs. Home was a short distance away. One final night in this wild, unknown era, I would be back in the arms of my family. In a time no danger I had endured could hunt me. And yet, I wasn't nearly as excited to return as I hoped.

"Yuna-chan?" Kagome called. Her eyes glowed under the light's touch. A brown spectacle that reminded me of chestnuts roasted to perfection. Though soft as her face was, it contorted with beads of curiosity and worry. "Are you okay? You've been in a daze since we left the village? Do you feel tired? Sick?" I smiled at her. "I'm fine, don't worry," I spoke with a lightness that I could only hope would convince her. Deep down, my mind was a haze. A blur of dreams, feelings, and more. "Just lost in my thoughts, that's all."

"Oi, Kagome! Yuna! Quit your giggles and pick up the pace, already!" Just like that, the reverent tranquility was gone, shattered by the relentless howls of the half-demon dog. His garment, a bold color of crimson, made him the center of attention wherever my eyes looked. It was hard to ignore his presence - much less his vexatious yap. Kagome was the only one to yell a response to Inuyasha before beckoning me to follow after her. I licked the bottom of my lips, dry and cracked like the parched desert floor. We hiked up the hill to catch up with the gang and entered yet another dense territory.

Darkness arrived as quickly as the burning skies disappeared.

"We should reach the old hag's village by tomorrow." Inuyasha threw another bundle of twigs and branches into the fireplace. While the boys had gone to find wood, and Kagome and Sango laid out the bedrolls, Shippo and I had set off to scavenge for food. Luckily, edible berries and mushrooms flourished in these parts of the forest. We even managed to catch a couple of hares and squirrels.

"Man, I can't remember the last time I felt this full; I'm stuffed!" Shippo beamed, rubbing his belly in satisfaction.

"You've got quite the talent in scavenging, Yuna-san," Sango praised, sending a faint blush coloring my cheeks. "I owe it all to Rin," I replied. "She was the one who taught me how to scavenge the wild."

"The two of you must be close," Kagome said. I nodded in reply. Then, a loud belch exploded through Inuyasha's mouth. It seemed he had his fill of the grub, too. "Guess you're not as useless as I thought you were." His comment earned him a glare from the girls and an eye roll from the monk. I couldn't be bothered to entertain his attitude.

"Well, now that all our stomachs are filled, how about we discuss what happened last night?" Miroku suggested. Inuyasha beamed. "Finally! I was wondering when we'd cut to the chase." All eyes were now on me, curious and eager to hear my side of the story. But how could I when I didn't remember anything at all?