(10)

~🌠✨⭐✨🌠~

~🌠✨⭐✨🌠~

"Here you go," Miss Krista handed me a set of papers. I quickly skimmed through the text, offering her an appreciative smile, "Thank you."

Miss Krista waved it off, saying, "It's the least I could do." The papers in my hand were documents related to a house I had recently purchased in Jamanakai.

I had asked Miss Krista to have her daughter, who lives in that area, meet up with a realtor for me. It served as a sort of safe house, and I granted permission for Miss Krista's daughter to reside there as long as she looked after it.

"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude.

Raising a brow at Miss Krista, I asked, "What for?" It should be me thanking her. She took my hands into hers, and though a bit surprised, I welcomed the warmth.

"You've helped me and my family so much," she said, her thumb gently caressing my palms and soothing the callouses I had gained through my training.

"[Name], you are a very kind girl. I hope that one day, you will find happiness." My lips pursed as I contemplated those words. I intend to do right by everyone; I'm not seeking an escape or a tranquil life.

This time, I'll be the one to end it on checkmate.

My phone rang, disrupting the tender moment we were sharing. I checked the caller ID, and to my surprise, it was my sister, Astrid.

Getting up from the couch, I said, "I need to take this. Let's have some takeout tonight," and Miss Krista nodded in agreement. Leaving the room, I headed up to the terrace for some privacy.

Taking a deep breath, I answered the call, "Hey, Astrid," greeting my older sister through the phone.

"[Name]!" Her excitement almost overwhelmed the microphone.

Astrid, being about 11 years older than me, created a significant age gap between us. However, this gap saved us from experiencing typical sibling rivalry.

To Astrid, having a little sister certainly beats having a brother.

She was like our mother but in a more subdued way, and she undoubtedly inherited our mother's intelligence.

In many respects, she was my mother. Our parents were often busy with work, but it never meant they didn't love us. Astrid and I understood that, and we didn't have a miserable childhood.

Astrid was the one who raised me.

Through Astrid, I gained a brother-in-law. Rhett, his name, was the opposite of her, except for the shared trait of being incredibly intelligent.

He was a nice guy who wore his green plaid flannel like it was a royal robe. Rhett brought out the best in Astrid, and for that, he had my blessing when they decided to get married.