eight

*Angela's p.o.v*

I leave the office and I start heading towards the roll call room where I left Isabella. She looks towards me and notices me heading back. I enter the room and I tell her what I need her to do.

Me: Isabella, I'm sorry I dragged you into all of this but I need to leave you here and go somewhere. 

Isabella: It's ok. I'll just go back to a close alleyway

Me: No no no you're gonna stay here with Grey until I get back. 

Isabella: Where are you going?

Me: I made lead detective on the incident that happened today. I have to go and question one of the shooter's family members.

Isabella: Well you better get going then

I nod and chuckle a bit and we start heading out of the room. I leave her with Grey and I watch as she sits on one of his leather chairs. I smiled at her while I was walking out and I went straight to my shop. I start making my way to the house I was supposed to go to.

*At the house*

I get to the house and I park my shop. I get out and I got met with Nolan. 

Swat Officer: Lock and load.

Nolan: Any eye on Serj?

Me: Not yet, but there's at least a handful of unknowns inside.

Armstrong: What's the game plan?

Me: House is around the corner. I'll have officers cover the perimeter while the rest of us breach.

Armstrong: I would put Stapleton, Cole, and Brady on the 3/4 corner. Jennings and Sanchez, they can take the 2 side. We'll join you in the stack. (realizing he's taking over) Sorry. Second nature.

Me: All good, sir. You're the senior detective on site. Operation is yours.

Armstrong: Okay. *walks away*

Nolan: Uh... You're acting detective?

Me: For the day.

Nolan: Doing great.

I start to walk away and once everyone was prepared I start to lead the charge as one of Ruben's crew opens the door.

Me: Police! Open up! Hands up! Turn around!

Nolan: Clear!

Officer: Clear!

Nolan (to Ruben): Stand up! Hands on your head! Turn around!

Ruben complies.

Ruben Derian: What can I do for you?

Armstrong: We have a warrant to search the premises for Serj Derian.

Ruben: You could have just called. So much banging and crashing just to discover that my brother didn't randomly drop by.

Me: All clear. No sign of Serj. Mr. Derian, we'd like you to come with us to the station voluntarily.

Ruben: Yeah, you bet. Uh, look, why don't I meet you guys down there, huh? There's only a half-hour left in what has been the best game of the season.

He elevates his neck, trying to see the soccer game on the TV.

Nolan: (turns around and looks at the TV) It's zero-zero.

Ruben: A tactical master class.

I grab the remote and I turn off the TV.

Me: Your brother shot a cop. You're coming with us now.

Ruben: On what charge?

Armstrong: You're a material witness to your brother's actions, and refusing to help could be construed as aiding and abetting. Let's move.

Ruben complies and we start taking him out of the house. He gets into an officer's car and I walk back to my shop. I start heading back to the station and I go check up on Isabella. I walk into Grey's office and I look over at Isabella and noticed she was sleeping.

Grey: She was really tired so I let her sleep it off.

Me: Thank you so much sir *smiles*

I walk out and I let her sleep. 

*Nyla's p.o.v*

Me and Nolan just got back from searching our shop. The murder weapon that killed Officer Rios was gone but we found out that a cop has stolen it. Nolan, Armstrong, and I get called to the sergeant's office. I walk inside and I notice Isabella sleeping inside. I smile at the look of her finally being able to sleep today and I look up at the sergeant.

Grey: It makes sense, but it's cold comfort. Even if we get the weapon back, the chain of custody has been destroyed. The D.A. can't use it to convict Serj for the murder of Officer Rios.

Me: If we ever find the guy.

Grey: Oh, we'll find him. I'm calling all the officers from the raid back to the station. Officer Lopez will be in charge of going through all the body cam footage.

Me: What can we do?

Grey: You and Armstrong can take a run at Ruben Derian. See if we can sweat something out of him.

Armstrong: It'd be my pleasure.

Grey: All right. That's all.

Armstrong: Hey, Sarge? Look, Officer Nolan conducted himself admirably throughout the raid. I don't think he's to blame for what happened.

Grey: That'll be my call, Detective. I'll deal with it when the time is right.

Nolan: Sir --

Grey: Nolan. You do not want to have this conversation with me right now.

I left the office and Armstrong and I start to head to the interrogation room to interrogate Ruben Derian.

*third person p.o.v*

*At the bullpen*

Officers are lined up to hand Sergeant Grey their body cams.

Smitty: What the hell do you need our body cams for, Sarge?

Grey: Above your pay grade. Come on.

Nolan runs into Cole in the bullpen.

Nolan: Oh, hey, Cole. How you holding up?

Cole: Not well. I should have said something.

Nolan: Hey, no. This -- This is not your fault.

Cole gives him a sad smile and walks off.

*Angela's p.o.v*

*Inside an office*

I'm reviewing the body cam footage , making notes as I replay and watch each one. 

*body cam footage* 

Me: House is around the corner. I'll have officers cover the perimeter while the rest of us breach.

Armstrong: Okay, I would put Shelton, Cole, and Boyd on the --

Armstrong: We have a warrant to search the premises for Serj Derian.

Smitty's cam shows him play-acting with his weapon, mugging in the bathroom mirror.

Smitty: Double-O-Smitty. At your service.

*body cam footage stopped* 

Me: That man clearly does not know the "on" button from the "off."

I move on, only to see that Cole's body cam has no data. I go to find Grey. I go to his office and I walk in.

Me: Officer Erin Cole never switched her camera on during the raid. She's a rookie, so it could just be a mental error.

Grey: Or she did it on purpose to cover up taking the gun. Either way, we need to talk to her.

Me: I can reach out to her T.O., call her back to the station.

Grey: No need. Cole's ID badge shows she's still here -- in the locker room.