Chapter 56 - Just Highschoolers

Start from the beginning

Miku haphazardly flicked her tail fin while cacophonously shrieking with a loud, blood-curdling scream. She was undoubtedly unparalleled in beauty, yet utterly spoiled in many ways.

"Quiet down, you have an audience."

"Even if you say that..." Miku puckered up her eyebrows with indignation and embarrassedly said so. The emcee then continued whispering into Miku's ear.

"Now now, struggling is useless since you've been purchased by our generous King. You should serve the King by singing a song. I heard that mermaids have very pleasant voices, so let these honored guests who've come from distant lands indulge in your mellifluous singing."

"I refuse! Although my voice is the best, I didn't agree to serve some company producer or some King that I don't know! I don't work for things that have nothing to do with me!!" Miku yelled as she arbitrarily turned her head to one side.

Miku's defiant rebuttal caused a rather confused uproar among the populous crowd in the hall. The emcee, who thought that it wasn't too encouraging to allow such a rebellious attitude towards the King to be seen in public, put on an incisive look and fiercely glared at Miku.

"You're the castle's property now. If you aren't obedient, the King will not be pleased."

"Hmph! I don't care!"

"Well, can't do anything about it. A mermaid that won't sing is good for nothing. Go be tomorrow's soup stock then."

"Waa! Miku likes to sing!"

Dreading being stewed into fish soup, Miku made an effort to smile obsequiously. Watching the whole argument, Lucas feebly forced a wry laugh.

"Captured again huh... Miku."

"Un. Looks like she was sucked into the fairy tale, Mermaid Princess.... Is this how the story goes though?" Kotori was utterly flummoxed by the unorthodox turn of events, replying to Lucas while inclining her head to one side.

In any case, they weren't going to let Miku become the soup stock just like that, she was already miserably pitiful to be compelled to sing unwillingly so Lucas and the others advanced a few steps forward towards the stage. At that time, Miku finally noticed their striking presence and opened her eyes, filled with hope.

"...Everyone!? Are you okay..."

"Yeah, we're fine. We heard that there was a mermaid princess in the castle so we came to visit..."

"Ah....! Where did you find such fancy dresses?! And Darling is Shiori!? And....who is this---what are those huge---?! Ah! Ah! I wanna listen to the detailed development!!!! Did you record any notes?!"

She resembled a stranded fish put back into the water. Miku's eyes glistened rather lustfully as she flapped her tail fin on the water's surface nonstop. Although her vivacity wasn't detrimental, the whole matter wouldn't be settled so easily. Shidou spread out his arms in order to sober up Miku.

"C-Calm down... Anyway, how did you end up like that?" Shidou asked, sweat oozing out from his forehead.

"I was already like this when I woke up in the sea. When I was searching for everyone, a wicked witch approached me and offered to turn me human in exchange for my voice."

"Oh, so that's how it is."

Lucas advertently nodded his head in acknowledgment towards Miku's case. Indeed, her featured story did vaguely adhere to the plot of the fairy tale, Mermaid Princess.

Impression-wise, however, the mermaid princess was supposed to fall in love at first sight with a handsome prince on land and seek the witch for a forbidden method to become human. At least, that's how the storyline develops.