Wonderland Runway Part 3

The first ten contestants were eliminated. Along with the other thirty-eight, Isabela and Amir proceeded to the next round of the competition. "Trial by Fire."

So far, the outfits created were pretty similar. Various flowing fabrics of red, orange, and yellow were used to create the outfits.

From the looks of the judges stationed at the end of the runway, they were less than impressed. Their grimaces only deepened as I walked with my simple white cloak. Amir arched a brow at Isabela, but the witch maintained her grin of pride. Jackie and our familiars would watch what happened next from the dressing room. And from the multitude of photographers, there would not be a shortage of pictures to bring back home.

From my pocket, I showed the judges the matchbox. I struck it and dropped the lit match onto the cloak.

The judging panel and contestants gasped at the fabric instantly disintegrating to reveal the real design. The crimson dress hugged around my body before pooling to the floor. Strings of pearls mimicked sleeves.

"You know you're not allowed to use magic for this competition," Amir commented

Isabela defended, "Correction, this is Rossonian polyester. It was available to all the designers but no one bothered to use it."

There was a reason for it too. The fabric resembled silk, but was too stiff to shape into any desired pattern. If it was used, it was usually for bedsheets, pillowcases, or blankets. If it caught on fire, it would instantly pulverize. Isabela wanted to use this to her advantage.

Edith got curious, "Ms. De La Rosa, can you explain your thought process as you were putting together this look?"

"When I think of fire, I think of transformation. With heat, the simplest of rocks become the most brilliant of diamonds. I wanted to showcase that concept in this design."

The corners of Edith's lips curved into a smile, "Very nice."

The judges' pens rapidly moved as they scribbled into their notepads.

I saw wrinkles forming between Amir's brows....and Isabela's grin widening at the sight.

------------------------

Thirty designers remained. After a lunch break, we reached the last round of competition for the first day. And this time, there was no theme. Majority of the designers were quite ecstatic by this change. They could do any sort of outfit they wanted. The sky was the limit for them. Others, like Isabela, were put further on edge. She kept going back and forth between a few sketches before finally making a decision: a jumpsuit with an attachable skirt.

I couldn't help but be skeptical as well. There had to be a catch. It was just a matter of time when that bomb would be dropped.

In the meantime, we were having fun. We had music from One Way playing in our dressing room. Jake, Evita, and Grim bounced on the couch. I was acting as a mannequin while Isa aligned the royal blue fabric to form a layered skirt.