Ring Any Bells? Part 4

"You want my help?" I recalled Rollo's earlier words, "I thought you wanted nothing to do with witches and that we're more trouble then we're worth. Why?"

Vil, Leona, and Grim sent daggers towards Lochlan.

"Rollo couldn't bring himself to tell you because of that stupid pride of his. We need you," Lochlan urged. "Please, come to Noble Bell College."

According to Lochlan, when the two students returned to Noble Bell College after our little meeting, my concern towards the Bell sunk into Rollo. He decided to head to the bell tower to examine the historical relic himself. He said the Bell's magical essence felt.... for lack of better words, off. Though, it was the dead magical flowers in the school's greenhouse that truly set off an alarm in the Student Body President's mind.

"Why not tell the teachers at your school? The problem's on your campus, isn't it?" Leona reminded him. " We're trying to enjoy a quiet vacation here."

"Rollo and I both did, but none of the professors saw anything wrong with it. They thought the dead flowers was due to our sprinkling system not properly working. Regardless of what anyone else says, neither one of us can let this feeling go. Lady Cassandra, please," Lochlan brought himself on one knee. "I think you're the only person who could help us."

"Enlighten me," I crossed my legs. "Why do you want me of all people to help you?"

"When you asked Rollo about the Bell, it seemed like you knew something was wrong. No one else will believe us, my lady. Rollo is going through all the books he can find on the Bell of Salvation, but we want to rule out all possible causes."

As I looked out to the city's bustling streets, all I could see were an ocean of fiery, crimson flowers. It was because of the Bell we were able to extinguish such a disaster. Witch Sisters forbid something like that would never happen again. Still, he next time such a catastrophe occurred, the Bell would be useless.

Regardless of how large or small the contribution was, there was an ecosystem established between the citizens of the city and the Bell. The City depended on the magic it provided. If there was truly something wrong with the Bell, it could have detrimental consequences for the citizens of the city. Perhaps even the remainder of the Land of Pyroxene could be affected. What if this slippery slope of events reached the Valley of Thorns? What if it spread chaos throughout all of Twisted Wonderland?

It all could all result because of one small magical imbalance.

And I was right here. I could get to the bottom of it and stop it before it worsened.

"I'll take a look at the Bell," I turned to the Dorm Leaders, "Guys, you don't need to get involved in this. You have every right to enjoy this trip the way you want to."

Vil was the first to say, "I disagree. I think the plot has thickened and I'm intrigued to see where this goes. I'll join you."

"You said if we'd come along we'd have to be part of the whole experience," Leona added. "Let's see what this is about."

Lochlan sighed in relief, "Thank you so much!" he tightly hugged me, "Your kindness and your beauty truly complement one another and-"

I swiftly freed myself from his embrace, "Just because I'm helping you, doesn't automatically mean we're friends."

"Such a fiery spirit," Lochlan giggled. "Rollo tells me how beautiful, darling, lovely you keeps your beloved on his toes."

"Wha-that's not the point! Aren't you worried about the Bell?"

"You know, there's an old expression my mother told me: the light between two lovers burns so brightly, they can find themselves in the dark."

"You're going to quickly find yourself in the dark and six feet under if you don't get a move on."