Why Choose

"You bitch," Becca whispers, a playful smile on her lips as she leans over the table to get in my face. "I just got a text from Renee. Her mom is Mrs. Walker, one of the Spanish teachers."

"Okay." I lean back in my chair, wondering how I became a bitch again. At least I can tell Becca is amused and not ready to take me out. Plus, Mr. Juarez is sitting on one of the sofas in the lounge area of the library, peeking over at us every few minutes.

She rolls her eyes. "Renee hears all the teacher gossip."

"The teachers are gossiping about me?" I frown, wondering if they're on Heather's side, too.

"Yes!" She sits back but stays leaning like she really needs to talk secretly when we're practically the only people here. "Miss Stewart told her Mr. Juarez was taking you somewhere during second period. And he was flirting with you!"

My loud laugh makes Mr. Juarez startle on the couch, which makes me laugh louder.

Becca scowls but smiles at him. "We're fine, Mr. Juarez. I'm just so funny."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Keep it down, Colette. Some students are studying."

"Sorry," I say, composing myself.

Becca raises her voice. "I'll try not to be so hilarious, Mr. Juarez."

"That would be nice, Becca." He smiles and returns to his phone.

Her gaze swings back to me. "Spill!"

"No," I say to fuck with her.

"You can't have them both!"

"Ever heard of why choose?" I slide my eyes his way. He's not looking, so I wink.

"You're such a smartass," she hisses. "Just tell me. Why would she say that?"

"Because he walked me to class?" I shrug. "She walked by, and he said hello. But he did tell me he's been with her before."

"That bitch." Becca scrunches her nose. "Did you know she hooked up with Coach Alex at Homecoming last year? And that same night, she fucked Coach Williams."

"Aren't they both married?"

Becca nods repeatedly. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many married teachers are fucking here. Anyway, you're saying she just saw you and decided something was up?"

"I don't know," I say, throwing my hand up. "You're the one telling me."

She huffs, nodding. "Did he say anything flirty, though?"

"No. Oh, I forgot!" I grin, waving her closer. She leans in quickly, and I whisper, "He told me I'm hot! Because we did talk about her for a second and he implied she'd think something about me and him. Maybe someone heard. But he was telling me that's why someone would say that because he said I have the gorgeous, brown-eyed girl next door thing going for me."

Becca blinks like she's trying to get out of a daze. "I think I passed out for a second. He fucking told you you're hot—gorgeous? And you didn't tell me?"

"He wasn't flirting." I chuckle, leaning away. "He's just loosening me up because he said I'll see a different side of him if I'm with Gabe."

She sighs, picking at her nails. "They all like you."

"No, they don't." I feel bad because I can see now how she would feel. Something made her feel unworthy, and guys always looking at someone else hurt her. "Gabe didn't say that he didn't have a bad reaction about your nudes," I offer as a way to perk her up. "He asked Gabe if he recognized you. Maybe he was trying to see who it was so he could . . ." I make a thrusting motion while pumping both arms down. "But since he's probably worried you might be a minor, he's not responding. Your body probably looks a lot better than most women. Not that a woman his age can't have a killer body. But maybe he's worried."