Violence & Comfort

I told him.

Well, I explained I didn't know who blinded me with a drink or who actually kicked me, but we both knew it could only be one of three people. And like I had feared, Gabe picked the pretty popular girl over me.

Sniffling, I turn away the second I spot him walking out of the school with his arm around Heather's shoulder. A smile tugs at his lips, and she giggles and leans into him. I guess Becca wasn't the worst to fear because she's stomping away, nearly in tears. So much for chicks before dicks.

"You okay?"

I look up at the girl waiting in line for the bus. I don't know her name, but I've seen her on the bus. She's quiet and keeps to herself. Her eyes dart over my shoulder. The wind blows her springy curls across her face as she returns her focus to me. The pity in her eyes makes me want to puke. "I'm fabulous, obviously. Thanks."

"You're prettier than her," she whispers, smiling softly. "I just thought you should know. They're mean to you because you're prettier. Funnier, too."

My eyes sting, but not from my injuries. Since stupid Alex with his room-temperature mouth, I've only been described as a freak, nipple-less, or boyfriend thief. Not pretty or funny. "I don't believe you, but thank you."

She pushes up her glasses, sighing. "They used to pick on me too. Not because I'm pretty," she rushes even though she is pretty. "But because I'm smarter than them. I used to cry until I watched you getting laughed at. You always smile when they want you to cry, and you always have something to snap back at them when they don't leave you alone. It made me feel like I could ignore them, too."

Chuckling, I smile. "Had no idea I was an inspiration." I chance looking behind me and have to steady my breathing. Gabe's holding Heather close, his hand on her chin as he speaks sweetly to her. She's all smiles and looks right at home touching his chest.

"Guess I'm begging my parents to ship me off to boarding scho—" My words die, and my mouth pops open.

The cruelest look transforms Gabe's face. He shoves her hand off his chest and grips her jaw when she reaches for him again. She yells in surprise, drawing everyone's attention.

He doesn't shout—he roars, "You kicked her?"

Heather screams and drops to her knees. "I'm sorry. Please."

He lets go of her but leans down to get in her face. "Touch her again, and I'll ruin your fucking life." His head lifts, and he searches the crowd until he spots me. "Come here, Colette."

I gasp, my body locking up. What the fuck is happening? Do I have a concussion? Is this real?

"I'm not repeating myself," he says in a low voice that somehow carries across the space between us. The violence rolling off him has the entire crowd frozen.

I still don't move, but a gentle shove on my back from the girl I was talking to has me stumbling forward.

How my feet manage to carry me over to him, I don't know. Nothing feels real.

The moment I'm within reach, he reaches for my neck. His hand closes around my throat, and he pulls me to him, muffling my gasp with his lips against mine.

He's kissing me. Gabe's kissing me!

It's brutal and angry.

Perfect.

He devours me.

His grip on my throat tightens but not too much. He's positioning me where he wants me and wastes no time shoving his tongue into my mouth.