Sleepover with Kermie

Anna Christos is a bitch.

She took one look at how Gabe stood in front of me and decided she'd make things even harder for him.

"I don't care, Samuel!" She glares at Gabe's dad, who'd made it home thirty minutes ago. "He is not to have his little escapades in my house!"

"Anna," Samuel says with a tired sigh. "Colette is our neighbor. Her parents are out of town, and she shouldn't be left alone."

Her eyes dart over to me. "You don't have a relative nearby?"

"I guess I can call my aunt," I say softly. She hates me as much as Mom because I'm alive, but it would remove the tension between Gabe and his stepmother.

"No," Gabe says immediately.

"Let me handle this," Samuel says, pushing Gabe toward me and then turning to face his wife. "I've already spoken to her father. I told him I'd call after I examined her. I'm going to tell him she should stay with us so I can check on her throughout the night."

"She's not staying with him!"

Gabe crosses his arms and speaks in that bored tone, "You caught me, Anna. I was about to fuck Colette's brains out. The nurse said she didn't have a concussion. So why not?"

"Gabe," Mr. Christos snapped, shaking his head.

Now there's some bite in Gabe's words. "What? Only Anna can insinuate I'm going to fuck the girl I like while she's injured?"

I'd slap my forehead if my face didn't hurt so much. Instead, I welcome my bruised face because holy shit!

Samuel sighs, looking between the two of them. "Enough, both of you. Colette is staying. Gabe, help Colette to her house to gather whatever she needs that'll make her comfortable."

"She's staying in my room," Gabe says, reaching for my hand.

Samuel glares at his son. "If she consents, you may sleep on your sofa." He gestures to the leather couch along the other wall in Gabe's room. "Let her sleep on the bed. And only if Colette is comfortable."

"You can't be serious, Samuel," Anna screeches.

"They're both eighteen," Mr. Christos says. "And it would be no different than if he had brought her to the hospital and she stayed for observation. You know he would request to stay, and I would allow it. Colette, I apologize that you have to witness this discussion." He smiles at me, and I know he's excited about this because he smiled softly every time Gabe touched me during the exam. At least he's Team Gabe.

"Thank you for your help, Mr. Christos." I sway until Gabe wraps an arm around my waist.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Now let Gabe help you so you can come back and rest. I'll check on you every few hours."

"Okay."

Mr. Christos focuses on Gabe. "Stay close to her."

"As close as she'll let me," he murmurs, taking me to my house.

***

Besides the bruised face and dull headache, I know I'm okay. But I swear I have a fever.

We've been back from my house for a few hours. It's bedtime now, and Gabe learned what I usually sleep in. He also learned I own nothing but camisoles, baggy sweaters, and hoodies and, therefore, do not have nice loose pajamas or even shirts to hide.

"I'll be fine in this," I tug at the school sweater.

He looks over from where he's swapping his pillows out for mine we brought. "No, you can sleep here. I'll stay in the living room. You only have to worry about Dad seeing you, and you said you felt fine with him because he's only checking your temp and vitals when he comes in tonight. I'll tell him not to lift the blanket."