Alone

"I don't care, young lady," my mom says, flipping back my covers and pulling off the sheets on my bed. She thinks I must've been high for me to say what I did to Mrs. Anderson and is convinced I'm hiding drugs. "She is your teacher, and you show respect."

"Addie," my dad says from the doorway, "someone disrespected her. She's not on drugs. She merely took up for herself."

"Exactly!" I slap my hands against my legs. "Even the principal understood. I'm not the first student she's tried to embarrass."

Huffing, my mother drops my mattress but quickly marches to my window and yanks open my curtains.

I cringe because I never open my curtains when getting ready for bed. After all, Gabe's curtains are never drawn. "Mom, what are you looking for in my window?"

"It's the perfect place to hide a marijuana plant."

I walk over when she moves away but doesn't close them. Unfortunately, Gabe is in clear view, and his lips are locked with Becca's best friend, Heather.

His eyes open, and he smirks when he sees me.

My curtains almost rip from the force I use to yank them shut. "Can I be alone now?"

Dad's comforting hands clasp my shoulders and steer me from the window. God, he probably saw me staring at Gabe like an idiot. "Just make sure you call next time you need a ride. I saw the truck your friend drove you home in on the doorbell video. I'm debating scheduling a Tetanus shot for you."

I laugh, rubbing my tired eyes. "I don't think I'm catching any rides from him again."

Dad kisses the top of my head, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Poor guy. I hope you let him down gently."

"Really, Edward?" Mom gives Dad a scathing look, tapping her foot like she can't stay still. "You're going to ignore her acting like a delinquent?"

"Give it a rest, hon," he says, winking at me. "She never gets in trouble. I'm fine with her trouble coming from taking up for herself."

Mom rolls her eyes and leaves. We've been butting heads ever since I started wearing baggy clothes. She's a former prom queen who expected tiaras and dresses when she had me. Maybe that would've been the case if things hadn't happened like they did—I'll never know. I just don't understand why she thinks me dressing a certain way and being a loner means I'm a bad kid.

"More like he realized he was with the town loser." I feel lower than I've felt in a long time. I thought about how River went from dimple-flashing hottie to cold-shoulder bad boy after I joked about being a loser. He said I wasn't one, but maybe he was realizing that was who he'd given a ride to. That's the only logical explanation for him to give me the silent treatment. I suppose I'm grateful that he didn't toss me once he remembered that.

"I doubt he, whoever he was, thought that." He gives me a side hug. "I'm around if you wanna talk, kid."

"Thanks, Dad."

***

I stare at the ceiling, focusing only on one thing when my mind usually dissects a hundred different things a minute. It should be a blessing, but the cause of it has me wide awake even though I'm tired. Even the reason should make me smile, but I'm too curious.

I have not heard a single moan, giggle, or Gabe's sexy voice. I had prepared myself for the inevitable cries of ecstasy to carry into my room and to use some nausea medicine to smother the sick feeling I sometimes get when I do hear him with someone, but it's silent.

Did he leave? No, that can't be it. I didn't hear his bike or his car start. I suppose Heather could've brought her own, but still. It's quiet. It's never this quiet.