Part twenty-one

“How are you feeling?” I looked at him, “I'm okay.”

Silence filled the car. “Can I ask you something?” He nodded, “Anything.”

“Are you only speaking to me because I got hurt?” Taehyung turned to look at me, “Why would you think that?”

“You left and didn't come back. You didn't speak to me either.” Taehyung immediately pulled over.

He turned towards me. “What are you talking about?” Did he not remember anything?

“That night, you left and never came back, so I called Jimin. You just left and didn't even try to see if I was okay.”

Taehyung shook his head. “I spent that entire night looking for you and the following day. I called you but Jungkook told me that you didn't want to speak to me.”

“I never said that…But when I came to talk to you, you didn't want to even look at me.”

I met his eyes. “That wasn't because I didn't want to speak to you.” He ran his fingers through his hair.

“I didn't want to hurt you.” Was this about him drinking from me? “Hurt me? How?”

“I should have told you this earlier.”

My stomach grumbled at the worst possible time. “I'll get you something to eat and tell you, okay?”

I nodded and leaned back. Taehyung drove for a while since it was late already. A lot of places weren’t open.

Eventually, we found a small cafe. “What do you want?” I squinted at the menu, “Uh…I can't really see. I'll get out.”

I tried to open the car door, but Taehyung handed me something. The menu, I didn't realize he had disappeared.

“Oh, thank you.” I glanced at it, “a chicken burger.” He raised his eyebrow at me, “What else?”

“I only want that.” Taehyung leaned forward, “you're not going to heal properly if you don't take care of yourself.”

“But I'm okay.” He sighed, grabbing the menu. I turned to look at him but he disappeared.

Taehyung walked back and got in. He handed me the bag. I reached in to pull out my burger.

“There's fries and another burger for you.” I looked inside, “you didn't have to do…”

He cut me off, “there's water and coke, as well.”

“Thank you, but you didn't need to get all of this. I was fine with just the burger.”

I unwrapped the burger, taking a bite. My stomach grumbled again. I didn't realize how hungry I was.

Taehyung just watched me eat. I was inhaling my food down.

I noticed him smile, and my heart fluttered. “What's wrong?” He leaned forward, wiping the corners of my mouth.

His thumb brushed across my lips, and I met his eyes. 

“That night, you wrote your final paper, I knew you weren't okay. But I still drank from you.”

I couldn't understand where he was going with this.

“I almost killed you.” He leaned back against his seat. “I couldn't stop myself.”

Taehyung looked back at me, “you didn't have a pulse. You were barely breathing.”

“So that's why you left to get…” I reached to touch my necklace, but it wasn't there. I immediately looked at my chest. “It's gone.”