Part Ten

When Jay went back to the dorms, he was surprised to find both Carlos and Eleanor. Carlos had his arms wrapped around Eleanor, running a hand up and down her back as she sobbed onto his shoulder.

"What's going on?" Jay asked, slinging his bag off his shoulder and onto the floor.

"Gabriela found out about-uh...you know," Carlos said carefully, slightly shifting his damp shoulder uncomfortably.

"Should I call Evie?" Jay asked gently, putting a hand on Eleanor's shoulder.

"She's with Mal. " Eleanor mumbled simply.

Eventually, Eleanor had to go back to the girl's dormitory, hoping Gabriela had already gone to bed. She tried to quietly sprint but tripped a couple times due to tiredness and general clumsiness. Unfortunately for her, before she reached her dorm, she saw Maize, Lizzy, and Izzy all loitering in the hall, whispering.

Before Eleanor could decide if trying to duck and sprint past them was worth it, they noticed her.

"Where have you been?" Lizzy asked snidely, looking Eleanor up and down skeptically.

Eleanor stared at Lizzy for a moment too long before deciding not to respond, trying to continue on past her.
Maize stopped Eleanor, grabbing her arm and pulling her backwards, almost nocking her over.

"You have red streaks all over your face," Izzy commented, staring up at Eleanor.

The green girl ripped her arm away from Maize, staring down at Izzy, "Are you under the impression that I never look in the mirror?"

"I wouldn't if I were you," Izzy shot back, going up onto her toes slightly.

Eleanor huffed, trying once again to leave, this time being stopped by Lizzy, who grabbed the back of her shirt.

"What do you want?" Eleanor asked in exasperation, simply wanting to go back to her dorm.

"To know why you weren't where you're supposed to be," Maize stated, taking her job much more seriously than Izzy and Lizzy.

Eleanor stepped back a bit, "Have you been waiting out here for me?" She asked.

But before any of the three girls could answer, Dorian walked up, coming almost to a run as he saw the four.

"Hey, what are you all doing out here?" He asked, trying to sound casual.

To Eleanor's surprise, Dorian then put an arm over her shoulder, as though trying to protect her in some way.

"What are you doing in the girls dormitory?" Lizzy questioned, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I was just checking in on Gabriela," Dorian explained, nodding his head unnecessarily, "Would you mind if I borrowed Eleanor?" He asked, not giving anyone time to speak before leading Eleanor back to her and Gabriela's dorm, walking quickly.

"Dorian-" Eleanor started, but the farm boy cut her off.

"Just keep walking and act like you tolerate me," Dorian said quietly, his eyes trained forward.

Eleanor didn't know what she was expecting Gabriela to say to her, but it certainly wasn't punctuated with her throwing a pink pillow at her head.

"Why didn't you tell me!" Gabriela wailed as Dorian hastily closed the door.

Eleanor tried to gain composure and stay calm, dodging another pillow, "It's a sore subject!"