CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Start from the beginning

Peter rolled his eyes at Julie for ruining his dramatic effect, "I've heard it's something only Alpha's can do, and with good reason..."

"Which is?" Derek pressed.

"You know, normal wolves never abandon an injured member of the pack. They care for it. They bring it food from a kill and then regurgitate it into the mouth of the injured wolf. They even give it physical and emotional comfort by intensely grooming it. In a way, they can do more than just ease pain-- they can be instrumental in healing their own-"

"If you're trying to tell me I can saver her, just tell me," Derek urged, Peter's vague comments making him irritable.

"I'm tell you... I heard it's possible."

"Well how? Why've you only just mentioned this?" Julie asked, more confused over irritated.

"It's that spark of power that makes you an Alpha. When you take her pain, she draws on the power that provides you with those special gifts: the power that heightens your senses, your strength; the power that transforms your body. As an Alpha, you have that bit of extra-- that spark intensifies the color of your eyes from a bright yellow into a searing red."

"If I can save her-"

""If." If. I didn't say it works every time. It could just as easily kill you."

"How do I do it? By taking her pain?"

"And then some... Because there's a cost."

Spotting a shadow move, Julie's head whipped to the window trying to find something. It was just a car driving past. Eyeing the outside carefully, she turned her attention back to Cora.

"I can understand you not seeing a downside to this, since you haven't exactly been Alpha of the Year, but think about what else you'd be losing."

"I don't care about power. Not anymore." Julie glanced at Derek carefully, she doubted anyone could just give up the urge to be powerful so easily. Not before the loss.

"What about the power to fight back? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kali's ultimatum still stands-- the full moon is tomorrow night. And, if you couldn't beat her as an Alpha, how do you think you're gonna fare as a Beta?"

"I don't care."

"What if this was exactly what Jennifer was hoping for? She would know the only way for you to save Cora would be giving up your power. Maybe that's what she was gonna have you do at the hospital."

"Why?"

"So that you wouldn't be able to face the Alphas without her! She wants you to come to her. It's all part of her little seduction, and she is still seducing you! She needs you on her side!"

Julie bit down on her lip refraining from speaking. She supposed she should tell the truth, tell them her bargain she struck but she found herself unable to. What good would it do? It would cause tension and anger and most likely Peter would sit there laughing at the situation.

Hearing the sound of a knock, all of them were left distracted as Peter went to the door.

He opened it and all they could hear was a faint back and forth, "you."

"Me," Peter said, his voice filled with a hint of guilt. Julie looked to the ex-alpha in shock at the tone, although she was focused on pressing the vent for Cora. Her hand was beginning to get a cramp.

"You."

"Me," Peter sighed, as he opened the door further to reveal Lydia, "Derek, we have a visitor."