CHAPTER ONE

Staring down at the charts in front of her, Juliette tilted her head as she read over the last of the paperwork. "Okay, and good to go," she finalised passing them down to the nurse in front of her. "So, any more thoughts on that date yet?" She asked, and the nurse looked up at her annoyed, "oh, come on, your single, my dads single, my brother and your son are basically brothers already...I'm just saying the match works. Two public service people who work long hours and understand emergencies... honestly it's a match made in heaven."

"Julie, stop trying to set me up with your dad."

"Oh please, Melissa. You need to get out there, my dad needs to get out there. It just makes sense you start with each other, who knows you might end up being the cutest couple in town."

"Julie..."

"Yes?" The much younger woman asked, a hopeful smile and a cheerful glint in her eye.

"You're supposed to be doing post-ops," she said handing the girl a new set of charts. Julie's smile dropped and she snatched the charts from Melissa wandering off annoyed.

_____

Entering the house, Julie tucked her hands into her pockets trying to conserve warmth. There was something about night shifts and staying up for around twenty-four hours that made her feel cold. She didn't care though, she just wanted sleep, she needed sleep.

"No, because when I get a call out that does not mean you get called out," she heard her dad chastising, and she walked into the kitchen ditching her bag and coat on one of the chairs.

"What's this?" She asked, looking at her dad who was stood with his arms crossed in front of her little brother who was sat at the table munching on toast in the most pathetic way she'd ever seen. He looked like a lost puppy.

"Stiles here, decided to take my call of a dead body being found in the woods as an invitation to go running around the woods in the middle of the night," Noah explained, she looked at him before grimacing.

"How are we related?" She asked.

"What?" Stiles asked, looking at her annoyed.

"I mean...I'm so smart, and you're so dumb...what if the murderer was still out there? Then what?"

"Hey, Jules, you have access to the morgue..." Stiles began and she tilted her head, pressing her lips together, "when they find it will you give me a text?"

"No," both Noah and Julie said at the same time.

"You know what? No car." Noah said, and Julie nodded in agreement, crossing her own arms as she did so, "Jules will take you to school, and pick you up."

She started to shake her head in disagreement, "but I want to go to bed," she countered, looking to her dad pleadingly.

"Now."

She looked back to Stiles, hatred on her face, "get in the car," she growled, and he looked to his dad imploringly.

"You tryna get me killed?"

______

After school, she found herself sat in the pick up point for the second time that day. She'd used the hours in between to sleep and she wanted to get home so she could grab some food before going back to work. She was ignoring all the students who were walking to their own cars and heading home, as she waited for her little brother, singing the songs she'd put into the radio. She was leaning back into her chair, one foot up on the dashboard and the other crossed beneath her. She couldn't see much of the daylight due to the sun glasses that were obstructing her face.