CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Stepping into the empty loft, Julie toyed with her car keys waiting for any sign of Derek being alive. She trusted Joe to tell her the truth, despite lying about who he was for their entire friendship. She trusted him. She could always trust him, they were friends. But if Derek never walked through those doors again she didn't know what she would do. 

He had to be alive, she needed him to be alive. 

It was a long waiting game to come, though. 

She'd began to pace back and forth, not wanting to sit down. She couldn't sit down. 

What if he'd made it out alive but then he died on his way to get refuge? 

What if he was just lying dead in a ditch and there was no one around to help or report it? 

What if he was never found? 

What if he was dead? 

She was going to be sick.

Spotting the lights for the alarm flashing, she looked over at them confused. Was it Derek? 

Was it the alphas?

What if it was the alphas? 

Isaac? Scott? Someone? 

Anyone, but god she wanted Derek. 

One miracle. She didn't believe in God, she didn't believe in miracles or coincidences. She believed in science and facts, but this once. Just this once. She wanted everything to defy all the odds and for a true miracle to happen, she really needed this one miracle. 

The door to the loft opened and the sillhouettes in the dark were enough to have her in tears all over. 

Derek was hung over a woman's shoulder, she seemed to be struggling with the weight but he was alive. 

He was so alive. 

"Derek?" She called out, jogging over to them so that she could help the stranger with his weight. 

"This is a bad, very bad idea. I should be taking you to a hospital," the woman said, and Julie glanced at her confused. Who even was she? 

"No... No hospital...Jules..." 

"Okay, it's alright, I'm here," Julie called out, "on the sofa," she ordered the other woman and the two shuffled over to get Derek sat down, "Derek? Can you hear me?" 

"Jules..." 

"Yes, can you see me?" 

"I'm fine," he muttered. 

"Not what I asked." 

"Yes..." 

"Okay, good, good... jesus Derek. everyone thinks your dead!" Julie hissed. 

Julie grabbed onto Derek's shirt, tearing it apart so that she could see the wound, "oh, my god," Jennifer said, but Julie was too busy ignoring her as she began to check the wound. 

"How bad?" Derek groaned out, weakly. 

"To be honest, the "Oh, my God" would be for your unbelievable physique, if it weren't for the fact that you're bleeding black blood..." Julie sat up straight, looking at Derek questioningly over Jennifer's words. Was she invisible or something? "Oh, god, you're not dying, are you-" 

"He's going to be fine," Julie cut in, reminding Jennifer off her existence. 

Derek groaned out in pain as Julie began to prod again, "not exactly how I imagined our first date..." the words made Julie's hands 'slip' and Derek cried out in pain again.