CHAPTER SEVEN

Walking through the hospital's halls, she found everyone moving so quickly. Jennifer's body had yet to be found, a missing person report had been filed for her, as she couldn't be contacted nor has she shown up for work. Out of everyone who worked in the hospital, she was the only one who knew.

19:23

She figured with the time it took for the small speeches and for them to crawl out of the hall and run to the jeep, it would have likely been 19:21. An instant death.

It was odd, other than dying in your sleep most people wished for an instant death. One without panic or pain, but when watching it happen it looked no less painful than that of one that went on, and on, and on.

Feeling a weight on her shoulders, she stumbled forward before turning around, "hey stranger," Joe said, a large smile on his face, "I got to assist on a cholecystectomy!" He cheered.

"Oh...wow, wow, that's wonderful," she droned, no smile nor delight on her face. He looked at her oddly as the pair continued walking.

"What's with you?"

"oh- wait, what?"

"You're acting like you've just seen someone kill a puppy in front of you," Joe mused, and she looked at him confused but said nothing, "oh come on, Jules, what's going on? I've not seen you in days, did I say something wrong?"

"What? No," she countered, stopping so that he'd stop with her, "it's just been a hectic few days... everything seems to be going wrong at the moment but it's not... well, it's definitely not anything to do with you," she promised.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Shaking her head, she thought on it. She wanted to. She really wanted to. To speak to someone normal who wasn't involved and didn't have to worry about any of the things she had witnessed or would probably witness in the near future.

"I can't."

"Are you sure?"

"I really can't."

______

Walking into the dining room, Stiles looked between both his sister and father confused. One was lying with her head on the table and yet he could see from the corners of her eyes that they were wide open, and his father was staring at his files confused.

"Whatcha doing?" Stiles asked.

"Work."

"Moping."

The two said respectively, "anything I can help with?" Stiles asked.

"You know, if you poured me an ounce of whiskey, that would be awfully nice," he said, and Stiles went to grab the whiskey.

"I want a double!" Jules called out.

"Should you be drinking? You're working tomorrow..." Noah said, as he glanced at his daughter. Huffing, she rose from her state of depression and leaned back in her seat.

"One won't hurt, I'll go to bed afterwards," she assured.

"Any leads?" Stiles asked as he began to pour the alcohol.

"You know I can't discuss that with you.... not too much," he urged, and Stiles looked at his dad sheepishly.

"Okay. There you go, Dad."

"Stiles then pushed another glass in front of his sister who took it in her hands nursing it like a hot chocolate, "thanks," they both muttered.

"Bottoms up," Stiles urged, and Noah downed his - which was much more than an ounce.