CHAPTER THREE

It was almost a week later, the results had come back that Derek was not the killer. Just someone who was sent for a psych evaluation for withholding evidence and burying his sister in his garden. He'd been released as a suspect, his lawyer would have been incredibly talented. That's what Julie had thought anyway. She thought it must have been a crime to hide your sisters body in your own garden.

"So, Mr. Myers, you sustained a lot of injuries this morning but our wonderful trauma doctors here, Dr. Greyer and Dr. Johnson who took the lead in your emergency surgery did everything in their best effort to fix you up," she explained a soft smile on her face and a calming voice. She'd had to fight him to stop thrashing around as she tried to take out the ventilator. "Now, you will have to go for another surgery to repair the damage done to your bowel, however, we don't think your heart is strong enough to handle that just yet. If it's alright with you, we'd like to wait a few days before attempting the surgery."

He nodded his head and her smile brightened.

"Wonderful, I'll go get you all of the informational and consensual forms, you don't need to sign anything just yet. They'll just be here for a bit of light reading. I'll explain the surgery and answer any questions you may have later once you're able to talk properly."

Walking out, she went over to the main office to see Scott walking towards the nurse's station.

"Is my beautiful, talented, and wonderful son actually bringing me dinner?" Melissa asked, laughing cheerfully.

"Thought you wouldn't mind skipping the cafeteria tonight..." Scott said as he leaned against the desk, and Julie walked over to them.

"You are the most thoughtful, loving...most conniving little con-artist ever. You are so not getting the car tomorrow night."

Julie hummed to cover her laughter, as she looked over to him, "someone didn't set up their plan very well," she mused.

"Mom!"

"What? There's a curfew- no car! But I will take this," she said, plucking the bag of take-out food from Scott's hands and turning to walk away, "love you!" She called over her shoulder as she went.

"Love you, too...."

"Someone looks a bit upset," Julie added on a smirk on her face.

"Shut up."

Her smile dropped as she looked him up and down, "you boys are so full of attitude. Learn to smile," she scoffed

She turned back to look at a different nurse as Scott began to walk away, "can I have the forms for Mr. Myers please? Room fifteen."

It took a short while for them to be printed off, and she took them with a thank you and a kind smile. Walking back to the patients room, her brows furrowed upon hearing talking. He'd been struggling to do so the entire time, and she also wondered who he was talking to.

Hearing screams, she picked up her pace running into the room. She looked at Scott horrified, "what the hell are you doing in here?" She asked, taking hold of Myer's wrist so that she could force him to let Scott go. "Get out! Now! Go! Go, go!"

She threw the forms down onto the floor as Myer's muscles all tensed up and he began to go into a seizure, "nurse!"

_______

Staring out at the car park, Julie clutched tightly at her coffee hoping the warmth and the caffeine would keep her awake through the night. She was so close to the end of her shift, just a couple more hours. She glanced at every car that came in and out, she thought it was funny that you could tell exactly who the cars belonged to. Nurse, surgeon or patient, they were all drastically different tax brackets.