CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

"She's dying, isn't she?" Isaac asked.

"I don't know," Derek said, his eyes turning to look at Julie who was doing another routine check up on Cora.

"It's hard to say, I think we need to put her on a vent. I have a manual one, but the issue with vents is that people don't always come off them," she admitted, "but at the same time, I need someone who actually knows what they're doing with the supernatural."

"So what are you gonna do?" Isaac asked, as he looked over Derek again. Julie glanced over at the alpha werewolf. It was not the time nor the place but she missed him so dearly. She missed his smile and his hug and his warmth. She missed his humour and the way they knew they were going to be together.

She didn't know what they were thinking.

But sat right there, even at his lowest, he was still so damn hot.

"I don't know."

"Want to figure something out? Because while Scott and Stiles were out there, trying to help people from being killed, you were in here, rolling around the sheets with the actual killer!" Julie did not correct him, she didn't want to get involved when it wasn't her place to. "Do you get how many people she's killed? Erica and Boyd are dead. Cora is dying. And you are doing nothing! Why'd you do this to us, Derek? Was it all about the power? Were you bored? Were you lonely?"

It took Derek a second before he sighed, "maybe. I told Cora I wouldn't leave. I'll help the others when I figure out how to help her-"

"There's no time!" Isaac interrupted, "the full moon's coming. The Sheriff and Melissa are gonna be dead, so I'm gonna try and help them. You can sit here and perfect the art of doing nothing."

Isaac stormed out, and Julie contemplated saying something. She didn't want to overstep, she knew nothing of werewolf politics or family situations. She imagined it was a pack issues.

It was only when Derek looked at Julie did she know that he wanted her to speak. To say anything, just something that could provide some comfort.

"If I were you..." she began, "I would be doing the exact same thing."

"I wouldn't take it personally," a new voice called, and irritation fell upon both Julie's and Derek's faces as Peter walked down the stairs, "anger is just a tool. He's using it to excuse shifting allegiance from one Alpha to another-- from you to Scott."

"Scott's not an Alpha yet."

"But he's on his way, isn't he?"

Julie glanced down at Cora again before she looked to Derek, "I think I need to vent her. I've brought a manual one with, it'll be a lot of work for us but it'll help her breath and if we keep her air ways open then hopefully... well she'll have more time to heal."

Derek glanced at Julie, before nodding, "I trust you."

______

Julie had put the vent in, and was sat beside Cora pressing the pump very careful with perfectly timed intervals. Derek was sat on the other side, his hand clutching tightly onto his sisters as black veins slowly travelled up his arm.

"Careful," Peter mused.

"Don't worry. I know going too far could kill me," Derek assured, and Julie glanced between them both cautiously. That seemed like important information that had been so lovingly left out.

"That's not exactly what I mean..."

Peter paused for dramatic effect and Julie huffed, "well are you going to tell us or what?"