CHAPTER FIVE

Feeling the bright light creeping through the window attacking his eyes, Derek turned his head away trying to let them adjust. He could smell it, there was another person in the room with him but he was used to the smell. Smelling like antiseptic and lavender pillow spray.

He could faintly hear music playing, from the same room though. It was coming from headphones for sure. Sitting up, he looked around to find himself in the room of what he could only describe as a madman.

The foundations of it was gentle and beautiful, something that he thought his sister would have loved. Sage green walls that had a golden mirror placed on and a few photos. A wooden floor with a large white fluffy misshapen rug, book cases filled with literature all of which he knew he wouldn't understand. There were mirror balls dotted around allowing for small dots of light to be scattered around the room. There was a wooden rocking chair in the corner with large white pillows on, and inhabiting the said rocking chair was Jules.

With her back leaning against one of the arms and her legs swung over the other, her mouth ajar as her head was upside down in her sleep. One arm dropped to the floor and the other flung across her stomach. She was the one with the headphones on and a blanket that was half hanging from her.

The bed he was lying on was not the traditional one, with the mattress being laid upon a few wooden crates that she'd used to store all of her shoes and bags. The bedding mismatched sage green and cream sheets. Clothes dotted around, the mess being something of a teenager.

That was the normal bit.

The odd bit was the articles and pieces of paper that were all printed out and glued to the wall, all of medical cases she was studying and learning. Most of them outdated, she'd never bothered to take down the ones from the start of her internship and instead had just stuck the papers over previous ones. Post-its everywhere with notes of her thinking.

Groaning, he moved to get up a dull ache where his wound once was. Glancing down he found himself with bandages all around his torso with blood staining on them.

The second he had moved, Julie had bolted up from her own chair, "what? I'm awake?" She said quickly, looking around confused.

Spotting Derek sitting himself up, she immediately jumped out of her seat, "whoa, whoa, whoa, you should not be moving with that wound. I am surprised you're even alive, it went right through!" He tore the bandages off to reveal a normal body. Without marks or scars, just residue of blood. She stood staring at it her mouth open from being about to say another word.

"What?" He grit out, still groggy from the wound and sleep, "you staring at the lack of wound or my abs?"

"That's incredible," she whispered, all but jumping on the bed to investigate, "there was a- a hole. Like a giant freaking crater going through your back to the front...and like... it's just, it's gone. Derek it's gone," she said, looking back to his face the largest smile he'd ever seen on her own. "This is... this is amazing. This is beautiful, this is magnificent, this is a whole miracle!"

"Are you crying?" He asked, confused, his face pulled into that of strangeness. She looked at him confused pressing her hands to her cheeks before she laughed.

"I guess I am. Derek, this is a medical miracle. This is literally a description of god's work... wow... also you do really have good abs," she admitted subconsciously feeling them up under the pretence of inspecting the wound. "Also you're being blamed for what happened at the school and there's an arrest order out for you," she added on still feeling up his torso.

"What?!"

"Well..." she muttered, pulling her hand away as she realised the severity of what she'd said, "at least no one died."