Chapter 41- The Strange Message

My father had been on me about Jane from the moment he saw her, I had told him that I would never get involved with any woman and I intended to keep that promise. Jane wasn't the type of woman he was going on about, she was just here to give me my child like the contract demanded nothing less nothing more.

" So you say, she's nothing to you?" He asked again for the hundredth time.

" My answer remains no and even if you ask me a million times I'll still give you the same answer," I told him as I picked a berry and popped it into my mouth.

" So where did you get the whole idea? I know you have issues with women but your experience with two women should not deny you of your happiness." He said and I saw no sense in his words, I know what the witch that calls herself my mother did to him and he still has it in him to defend women, I don't want to think about what my ex did to me. Those two experiences were enough to traumatize me.

" I'll be happy with my child, there's no need for a woman, I survived with you, you don't think my child would be satisfied with just me? " When my mother left, he was all I had he became both parents in one and there was nothing that could convince me that a mother is important in a child's life, I turned out okay. My dad raised me on his own.

" So what do you plan on doing after she gives birth to the child?" He asked. Well, it was obvious we go our separate ways but since he wanted me to spell it out I would.

" It's clear Dad, when she gives birth to my child, nothing connects us any longer, we break ties."

" Son I'm still going to say it again but I know you wouldn't listen, it's time you find a woman to be in your life."

" And I'm going to tell you again that a woman is not necessary in my life. Even if there happens to be one maybe in another life, she wouldn't be Jane."

" But yet you picked her to have your child?" He asked.

" Jane is naive, I wanted my child to be born of a woman only I have touched, I didn't just want any woman."

" So you're saying she's special then." What was my father driving at?

" I wouldn't put it that way, I would call it being lucky, there could be another woman to give me my child but she got lucky to be chosen amongst the many."

My dad sighed seemingly tired of the back and forth.

" Well I can't force you to do what you don't want, you're a grown-up man and I've known you to always be stubborn, nothing can change your mind when you set it to something. I wish you and Fi…"

" Don't mention that name, Dad." I stopped him before he could say the one word that changed my mood each time, my ex's name. We were perfect together but she's a woman after all, they cannot be trusted.

" Whatever you say."

" Thank you, let's talk about something else, anything that isn't about women." Because that's what we've been all about for hours now.

" How have your travels been?" My dad has been an adventurer as he calls himself traveling to different countries. As long as he was healthy I didn't have a single problem with that, he was all I had and his happiness brings me happiness.

" Yeah, I went to Hawaii and the food and women.."

" You're talking about women again." I stopped him and we both burst into laughter.

" No talking about women." He said putting his hand up in surrender.

" No talking about women," I repeated.

******

I was craving peanut butter but I didn't want to bother any of the maids and there was none in the fridge in my kitchen. The craving was too much, I had to go to the other wing. Where Markus and his father were.

I walked to the other wing hoping not to run into any of them. As I walked past the sitting room, voices reached my ear, one belonging to Markus and I guessed the other voice was the voice of his father. Well, it was good they were involved in a conversation, they wouldn't even notice me. But as I took another step Markus's father's question stopped me, it was wrong to eavesdrop but I was curious to hear his answer.

" So you say she's nothing to you?" Markus's father asked and Markus's response shocked me.

" My answer still remains no and if you ask me a million times I'll still give you the same answer," Markus said.

I didn't need a soothsayer to tell me they were talking about me.

I heard their conversation up until he said I was naive, I just couldn't take anymore, and with the peanut butter forgotten I returned back to my room.

This isn't new to me. I was nothing to him that should be old, but the way he said it was like I was a fool.

I told myself I wasn't going to let Markus get to me but each time I did.

" Hey, Hardin," I said as soon as he picked up the call.

" Hey did you change your mind?" I could just feel the happiness in his voice and I couldn't help but laugh.

" Well I checked my schedule I don't have anything that is so important and I must have seen wrong, so I'll be available."

" That's great, I'll be seeing you then, I already have a seat reserved for you."

" Okay," I said before ending the call.

I don't give a damn about what Markus thinks after all I mean nothing to him, the naive Jane.

This child would be given the love of two parents even if the man wasn't his real father. I would give my child that.

I was about to go to the bathroom when my phone beeped with a message, I thought it was a message from Hardin, but when I opened it, I saw a strange number with a message that read.

" How are you my dear, it's been a really long time." My brows pinched in confusion so I quickly replied to the message.

" Who are you?" I sent and waited patiently for a reply but nothing came. So I decided to call, I was really curious.

The call was picked but I didn't hear anything, not until a voice called my name.

My heart stopped as the phone fell off my hand.

******

Thank you for reading my book