e i g h t

Back on the Argo II, they gathered in the mess hall and filled in the rest of the crew.

"I don't like it," Jason said. "The way Asclepius didn't talk about Leo-"

"Aw, he just sensed my heartsickness." Leo tried with a smile. "You know, I'm dying to see Calypso."

"That is so sweet,' Piper said. "But I'm not sure that's it."

Percy frowned at the glowing red vial that sat in the middle of the table. "Any of us might die, right? So we just need to keep the potion handy."

"Assuming only one of us dies," Jason pointed out. "There's only one dose."

Jasper and I stared at Leo.He gave us a look, like Knock it off .

The others didn't see the full picture. To storm or fire the world must fall – Jason or Leo. In Olympia, Nike had warned that one of the four demigods present would die: Jasper, Hazel, me or Leo. Only one name overlapped those two lists: Leo. And, if Leo's plan was going to work, he couldn't have anybody else close by when he pulled the trigger.

Our friends would never accept his decision. They would argue. They would try to save him. They would insist on finding another way.

But I was convinced, there was no other way. Like Annabeth always told us, fighting against a prophecy never worked. It just created more trouble. We had to make sure this war ended, once and for all.

"We have to keep our options open," Piper suggested. "We need, like, a designated medic to carry the potion – somebody who can react quickly and heal whoever gets killed."

"Good idea, Beauty Queen," Leo lied. "I nominate Eliana."

I blinked. We were really doing this. We were really helping Leo sacrifice himself. 

"I agree," Jasper. "You're the medic and have saved all of our lives. You're the right person for the job."

 Annabeth nodded at me. "Leo and Jasper are right. When the time comes, you'll know what to do."

"Yeah," Jason agreed. "I have a feeling you're the best choice, Laines. You're going to be there with us at the end, whatever happens, storm or fire."

Leo picked up the vial. "Is everyone in agreement?"

No one objected.

Leo locked eyes with me. You know what needs to happen.

He pulled a chamois cloth from his tool belt and made a big show of wrapping up the physician's cure. Then he presented the package to me. Except only Jasper and I knew that the actual vile wasn't in there. Leo had actually stashed it in his tool belt. The cloth in reality was empty. 

"Okay, then," he said. "Athens tomorrow morning, gang. Be ready to fight some giants."

"Yeah ..." Frank murmured. "I know I'll sleep well."

Everyone soon cleared out of Mess Hall, leaving Jasper and me alone. He took a seat next to me.

"You okay, Sunshine?"

I shrugged. "Just thinking." 

"About what?" 

"Something my dad said." 

"Did he say something that upset you?" Jasper asked. 

"No, it was something he said in my dream. Before my visions stopped." I said. "He said that I would have to face our biggest fear. I thought that he meant Python but now I'm not sure..."

"If not snakes then what could he mean?" Jasper said. "Do you have any other fears?"

I shrugged. "I mean I'm afraid of the dark but it's not that bad and I don't think that's what he meant."