two

Roman demigods parted for Annabeth as she walked through the forum. Some looked tense, some nervous. Some were bandaged from their recent battle with the giants, but no one was armed. No one attacked. We followed her lead. 

In front of her, the demigods made way for a girl in full Roman armor and a purple cape. Dark hair tumbled across her shoulders. Her eyes were as black as obsidian.

Reyna.

Jason had described her well. Even without that, I would have singled her out as the leader. Medals decorated her armor. She carried herself with such confidence the other demigods backed away and averted their gaze.

The two girls considered each other. We fanned out on either side of Annabeth. The Romans murmured Jason's name, staring at him in awe.

Then someone else appeared from the crowd, Percy Jackson. 

The praetor Reyna straightened. With apparent reluctance, she turned toward Jason.

"Jason Grace, my former colleague..." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"I knew Annabeth didn't mean to, but she surged forward. Percy rushed toward her at the same time. The crowd tensed.

Some reached for swords that weren't there.

Percy threw his arms around her. They kissed. 

Percy pulled away and studied her face. "Gods, I never thought—"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat. She didn't care what the Romans thought. 

"If you ever leave me again," she said, her eyes stinging, "I swear to all the gods—"

Percy had the nerve to laugh. Annabeth seemed to calm down. 

"Consider me warned," Percy said. "I missed you, too."

Annabeth rose and helped him to his feet.

Jason cleared his throat. "So, yeah....It's good to be back."

He introduced Reyna to Piper, who looked a little miffed that she hadn't gotten to say the lines she'd been practicing, then to Leo, who grinned and flashed a peace sign.

"And this is Annabeth," Jason said. "Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people."

Reyna's eyes sparkled. "You sure you're not a Roman, Annabeth? Or an Amazon?"

Neither Annabeth nor I  knew if that was a compliment, but she held out her hand. "I only attack my boyfriend like that," she promised. "Pleased to meet you." 

"Finally, this is Eliana. Daughter of Apollo." Jason said turning to me. 

"As if Octavian wasn't enough." muttered a boy who stood behind Reyna. The boy was tall. Very tall. He had dark hair and light brown eyes. He looked about my age but carried himself like a warrior. He was holding a spear at his side. He was very muscular and had multiple piercings on his ears, as well as silver skull rings decorating his slender fingers. 

He reminded me of Clarisse. 

Reyna glanced at his direction and he bowed his head as if in apology. 

Reyna clasped her hand firmly. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"

A few of the Roman campers hustled forward—apparently the senior officers. Two kids appeared at Percy's side, the same ones I had seen him chumming around with earlier. The burly Asian guy with the buzz cut was about fifteen. He was cute in a sort of oversized-cuddly-panda-bear way. The girl was younger, maybe thirteen, with amber eyes and chocolate skin and long curly hair. Her cavalry helmet was tucked under her arm.