ten

We didn't make it to the ship. 

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle,who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

I drew my bow and pointed at him and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have bothered her, but the two other

guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than I wanted to deal with, especially since Piper and Annabeth were armed only with daggers.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Jasper muttered as he summoned his spear. "Please."

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Annabeth saw no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. If Annabeth could get on board, she could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans.

"Jasper." Octavian said his name in disgust. "I expected more from you. You were a respected Centurion and now you've given that up for-" he gestured toward us. "-this. You're a traitor to Rome."

"I'd follow them over you any day." Jasper said glaring at Octavian.

The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tastyGreek demigods over here!  I couldn't see the flying chariot anymore, but she assumed it was close by. She had to figure out something before more Romans arrived.

"Let me kill him Annabeth. You know I've never missed." I said glaring at the Augur. 

"I said drop your weapons!" Octavian repeated. Annabeth looked around trying to find a solution.

 "Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth tried for a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation.

"You other two..." He pointed his blade at Hazel and Piper. "Put your weapons on the dock. The other Blondie toss your bow over here and Jasper take off your weapons. No funny bus —"

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor.

Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Annabeth threw her arms around him. "I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."