Chapter Twenty Three

A/N never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be doing ancient Greek prose comp for a bungo stray dogs x reader fanfiction. What is my life.

----

An uneventful week passed by. Akutagawa was cleared for field work again and Y/n was on retainer, set to be there the minute he called. Boss's orders.

She wandered the streets of Yokohama, taking full advantage of her newly acquired freedom due to this assignment. The city had been tough for her to love. When she had been young, all she had talked about was how much she hated the place. Her soul goal when she grew up had been to move out, be elsewhere.

It had been hard won, her affection. It had taken years in allies, on back roads, looking out at the raging sea. The truth of the matter, she had realized, was that Yokohama was her home. First and foremost, it was the place she'd grown up. It had bore witness to all her life, every detail. It held memories around every corner.

The bell above the door rang gently as she stepped into her favorite cafe. It was a little place she had discovered some years before, a hole in the wall with the best coffee she'd ever tasted. She went up to the counter and, having ordered her drink, found a seat in a lovely little table by the window.

Y/n watched the world move around her through the glass. After a few minutes, her name was called and she grabbed her drink off the counter before returning to her place. She took a sip, the acrid hot sting of the beverage on her tongue grounding her to the moment.

The bell rang, the sound of another customer entering the cafe. Y/n didn't pay it any mind, not until a minute late anyways when Dazai slipped into the seat across from her.

"I've been looking for you." he stated, folding his hands on the table before him, "You're a tough one to find."

"Really? I wasn't even trying."

Dazai scoffed, turning to join Y/n in gazing out the window. They watched the people wandering the streets in silence. Each in a hurry, wrapped up in their own universes. Each with things to do, places to go, people to see.

The barista called Dazai's name and he went to retrieve his coffee, returning to the table a moment later. The edge of a phone number peaked out beneath the paper holder placed over the disposable cup to dull the heat. He turned it away from her.

"You're really set on talking to me." Y/n said at last, turning to face him.

"Yep." he nodded, leaning back lazily in his chair.

"You are a one." Y/n sighed, shaking her head slightly as she raised her cup to her mouth, "So, what's up?"

The casual, familiar, cadence of her voice came as a surprise to both of them. She hadn't meant to be so cordial. Y/n took a sip of her drink, placing her cup decidedly on the table.

"I've just been wondering." he replied after taking a sip of his own drink.

"About what?"

"You."

Y/n scoffed.

"And that old subordinate of mine."

"Akutagawa?"

Dazai nodded and Y/n crossed her arms, leaning back in her chair and matching his nonchalant air. Her eyes narrowed as she watched him, ruining the facade.

"Why?" 

A demand, not a question. Dazai smiled, cocking his head to the side.

"You know that he loves you right? Or whatever is as close to love someone like him can feel, whatever passes for it."