Chapter Twelve

Y/n stayed in the chair in the corner of his office, watching the night sky as Chuuya finished his work for the night. After he was done, he walked her back to her room. She hugged him tightly in the doorway.

"Thank you." she said, her voice barley more than a whisper.

Chuuya patted her head, ruffling her messy hair with endearment. It didn't matter that whatever he had had with Dazai was long gone, she was family.

"Of course. Are you going to be able to sleep tonight?"

Y/n pulled away, looking over at her bed for a moment before turning back to him.

"I think so."

"All right. Let me know if you need anything."

"Okay." she nodded obediently.

"Goodnight Kiddo."

"Night, Chu."

Once back in his own room, Chuuya poured himself a glass of wine and sat down on the couch. He sighed, taking a sip of the drink.

He wasn't worried about Y/n. He knew her, had known her for years. She always ended up back on top, no matter what happened. What was more concerning to him, or rather, more an object of his curiosity was what he had learned about her relationship with Akutagawa.

Chuuya had known the pair were cordial but, Y/n never spoke of him. When they were being briefed together, they never shared any banter or really recognition of one another at all and now, here she was, crying in his office at midnight because he was her friend.

What intrigued him even more was what she had said about him, what Y/n had told Chuuya had been the thing to set her off. In all his years of knowing Akutagawa, he had never seen the young Mafioso show a hint of care for anyone save himself, his sister, and his former mentor. And yet, he had gone to find Y/n, told her he was worried. He had told her he cared about her. 

Chuuya sighed. He needed to have a talk with the boy, that was for sure but, for now, it was night. It was the only time he had to himself. He took another long sip from his glass.

"How'd I end up a single parent of two." he scoffed into the emptiness of the room.

Y/n had tried to come find Akutagawa the next morning only to be told that he was away on a mission and no one knew when he'd be back. She didn't understand why this situation was so upsetting to her. They weren't close, not by any stretch of the imagination but there was a sort of comfort in knowing he was there, a sort of safety.

Akutagawa was distraught. He couldn't bring himself to face Y/n after what she had told him, after she had revealed what she truly thought of him. This whole time, he had thought she cared that maybe, she might even like him. Not the way he liked her but still, he had thought she was there for him. Apparently, all she had ever seen him as was a lost puppy, a reminder of her accursed brother.

He cursed his foolishness, he cursed his heart. Akutagawa threw himself into his work, taking every mission that came his way without question or discrimination.

It was a few days after the incident that Chuuya called him to his office. Akutagawa had promptly obeyed, assuming Chuuya had found out they had encountered Dazai and wanted a report on the matter. He had entered the office calmly and confidently, pushing his grief to the side, strangling it with a rope.

"I heard what happened." Chuuya sighed, seemingly reluctant to be having the conversation as Akutagawa took the seat across the desk.

"Yes." Akutagawa nodded, "We encountered... that man. He-"

"No." Chuuya cut him off, leaning forward on his desk, "With Y/n. I heard what happened with Y/n."

"How..." a flash of confusion shot across Akutagawa's face and Chuuya sighed again.

"She told me."

Anxiety began to build in the pit of his stomach. What had Y/n told his superior? Was he going to be in trouble? He knew he'd done nothing wrong, and he had never known Y/n to lie, but apparently he had never really known Y/n all too well at all according to their last interaction. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"She considers you a friend apparently. Has she spoken to you?"

Akutagawa was stunned.

"No?" he stuttered out after a moment.

Chuuya scoffed, shaking his head.

"She's so fucking stubborn."

"I've been on a lot of assignments this week." Akutagawa cut in, feeling the innate need to protect her in this moment.

"Let's just get straight to the point." Chuuya groaned, leaning back in his chair and stretching his arms tiredly behind his head, "You have feelings for her."

Akutagawa's cheeks flushed pink. He didn't reply.

"Look, I don't want to have this conversation either but, she is family and you... have a reputation."

"I wouldn't do anything to hurt her." Akutagawa immediately replied.

"Not even when you're mad? Not even now?"

He shook his head firmly.

"Okay... I guess... I guess were done here."

"That was it?"

"I... look, she's like my little sister. I am not good at this and I am not going to stop her from making mistakes because there are some lessons you need to learn for yourself."

"You think I am a mistake?" Akutagawa asked, his brow furrowed with confusion, "You think she... you know..."

"I don't know if she has feelings for you. She's a tough nut to crack. I wouldn't be surprised if she had never even thought about it before, what with everything that has gone on in the past four years. And no, I don't think you'd be a mistake, just that... never mind." Chuuya grumbled.

"I... what did you call me in here for?"

His confusion was mounting with every passing moment.

"Just don't hurt her, okay?" Chuuya said exasperatedly, rubbing his eyes, "Jesus. I hate this."

"If anything, she would hurt me. She has hurt me." Akutagawa scoffed.

"She's more... delicate than you think. Surprisingly so. Just... oh I don't know. We're done. You can leave."

"Okay?"

Akutagawa hesitantly got to his feet.

"What?" Chuuya asked, noticing the way Akutagawa was lingering before his desk.

"I... It's nothing."

He turned and made his way over to the door.

"Just don't avoid her if she tries to talk to you, okay?" Chuuya called as Akutagawa opened it.

With a nod, he disappeared back out into the hallway.

----

A/N listen, someone called me surprisingly delicate one time and it lives on repeat in my head (I may or may not have been lowkey in love with the person). Sorry for writing it into this shitty filler chapter.