Chapter Twenty Six

Y/n stepped through the glass double doors of the Port Mafia headquarters into the lobby. She was coming back from a job, having been sent to assassinate the leader of an up and coming criminal organization that had begun causing some problems for the Mafia. With everything going on in the war against The Guild, the chaos that had been caused by their plans and antics, Mori had sent her and her alone to take care of the problem. It wasn't all that unusual of a job for Y/n, and she had handled the situation quickly and, for the most part, cleanly. 

As she had entered the doors, Akutagawa had entered the lobby as well, coming from the elevators. As she was returning from an assignment, he was leaving on one. Well, he was leaving to do something, it wasn't exactly sanctioned. He had heard rumor of the Agency sending the Were-tiger to The Guild's airship, the Moby Dick. Fury had always been his biggest motivator, the crafty woman behind the face of the man, and she lead him now.

Akutagawa stepped out of the elevator and, catching sight of Y/n entering, crossed the vast expanse of the lobby to her. She looked very put together, very neat with her hood up over her hair and her mask over the lower half of her face. The white fabric of her turtleneck however was stained a rusty red up to her elbows.

"Back from a job?" he asked, his hands in his pockets as he came to a stop before her.

"Yep. Killed the big headed baby leader I was supposed to."

"Run into some trouble?" he inquired pleasantly, looking pointedly towards her sleeves.

"Some pesky armed guards who caught sight of me."

"You're slipping." he mused and Y/n shot him a dirty look.

"And where are you off to? On a mission?"

"Kind of." he reluctantly admitted.

Y/n raised her eyebrows.

"So, off to do something stupid the Boss doesn't know about."

"If he didn't want me to do it, he'd be stopping me." Akutagawa shrugged.

"If he knew about it and didn't want you to do it, you mean."

"I'm sure he does."

"His favorite little loose cannon."

Akutagawa rolled his eyes and she chuckled lightly.

"So, where are you off to."

"The Moby Dick."

"The Guild's base?" Y/n asked after a moment, leaning forward slightly as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Akutagawa nodded hesitantly.

"To do what, exactly?"

"So..." Akutagawa trailed off.

"The Were-tiger is gonna be there, isn't he." she scoffed and he looked away for a moment, "Dude, you're obsessed."

"No, I just... we have a contract for him, okay? I'm doing my job."

"Yeah, sure. Okay. Teacher's pet."

Akutagawa glared at her and Y/n uncrossed her arms, raising them in surrender.

"Sorry, sorry."

It didn't escape Akutagawa's notice that this was the first time in the years they had known one another she had actually said the word to him. He made no mention of it.

"Just, be safe." Y/n begrudgingly stated, crossing her arms defensively once again.

Y/n watched as his sharp eyes softened slightly, clearly taken aback by her request.