Chapter Five

It was a noise he would never forget, not as long as he lived. It was animalistic, the embodiment of pain, of grief. It was holy, some long dead language, some distant prayer to absent gods.

Here is what had happened: Akutagawa had been called to the Boss's office. It was late, nearly midnight but, he had still been up working and it so it wasn't that much of a hassle. When Akutagawa entered the familiar room, he had been met not only by Mori, seated behind his desk, formidable and austere as always, but Chuuya and Y/n as well. 

They were both also in work clothes, bags beneath their eyes from a late night just like his. Akutagawa approached them, coming to a stop beside Chuuya.

"Good, you're all here." Mori sighed, leaning back slightly in his chair.

"And why are we here?" Y/n asked.

At the sound of her voice, Akutagawa turned and realized two things about her. The first was that her customary mask was no where to be seen. Obviously it was something meant for public consumption which late night work alone and an impromptu meeting with the Boss did not count as. The second, was that he had seen her before. 

It was not just a few days before that he had met the Mafia's notorious Lion, no. She had been the girl in the elevator all those months before, the one who had been rude to Dazai, the one who had occupied Akutagawa's mind since. Not only had she stood up to him in front of Akutagawa, but she had done it twice, the second time very probably saving his life in the process.

Chuuya kicked her lightly with the toe of his shoe and she glared at him momentarily before returning her attention on Mori.

"Apologies." she sighed, "It was not my intent to be rude, I was simply curious."

"It was not rude." Mori shook his head, smiling lightly at the interaction, "You have every right to ask such a thing."

He sat upright once again and thought for a minute before getting to his feet and rounding the desk. Akutagawa felt his shoulders straighten on instinct as Mori folded his arms, leaning against his desk as he faced them.

"I am afraid I have some bad news." he said.

"What happened?" Chuuya asked almost immediately, as if he had some inkling what it may be about.

Akutagawa was lost, however. Had it just been he and Chuuya in the room with Mori, he would have assumed the news was about Dazai. The addition of a third party, Y/n, was what made him uncertain.

"The Port Mafia has... lost some assets tonight." Mori carefully replied.

Y/n's eyes narrowed suspiciously and she shifted her weight on her feet.

"What happened." she repeated Chuuya's question, the low tone of her voice turning it into a command.

Mori sighed again, shaking his head slightly.

"Sakaguchi Ango, Oda Sakunosuke, and Dazai Osamu."

Chuuya's eyes went wide as Akutagawa reflected on the familiarity of all three names. Y/n took half a step forward.

"Start talking old man." she growled.

This time, Chuuya made no move to reprimand her blatant disrespect of their fearless leader.

"Sakaguchi Ango will no longer be affiliated with the Port Mafia, he has defected." Mori began and Y/n's eyes widened with surprise, "As he is now an operative of the government's Special Division for Unusual Powers, we will not go after him."

"He... Ango was a spy?" Y/n asked in disbelief and Mori nodded.

"The Mafia was under the impression he was working as a spy for our side. The Mafia was wrong."