Chapter Four

The days blended together in a whirl of missions, training, and classes. Before either Akutagawa sibling realized what was happening, time had passed and they had been in the ranks of the Port Mafia for two years.

He was sixteen now. Gin had moved out and gotten her own room in the section of the dorms delegated for the special ops teams she was now a part of and Akutagawa had been moved into the section for the ability using members. They still shared meals, waved when they passed one another in the hallways but, they were both so busy now that they were getting actual assignments.

Akutagawa had grown. He was taller now, his superiors old coat no longer falling off his shoulders. In all his time in these hallowed halls, he never caught sight of the strange girl from the elevator again but, she remained in his mind. He would find his thoughts drifting to her late at night when unable to sleep. The curiosity ate away at him. What had happened to her? Had Dazai gotten her fired or killed even? Had she lost her life on a mission? There were so many questions to which the answers never came.

He was standing at the back of the crowd of Dazai's subordinate staff in one of the Mafia's torture chambers, leaning against the wall casually as his mentor examined the scene laid out before him.

"I'd like an explanation." Dazai said at last, his voice low and soft.

One of his subordinates stepped out of line. Dazai kept his eyes fixed on the bodies at his feet as the man began to speak.

"We captured Mimic's vanguard that attacked the casino with the knockout gas as planned." the man's professional voice cut through the silence, "One of them committed suicide, but we brought the other three here. We were planning to have them talk about the other members of their organization. We even removed the poison hidden in their teeth."

"I know that." Dazai cut in, "That was all part of my plan. What I want to know is what happened after that..."

"One of the soldiers woke up earlier than expected." the man replied, stuttering slightly, "Before we could get handcuffs on him, he stole one of our guns and most likely shot his comrades so they couldn't talk. He also came after us..."

The man trailed off, clearly nervous to tell the next part. Akutagawa sighed, pushing himself up off the wall.

"So I decided to take care of it." he finished for the nameless subordinate.

The group parted as he walked towards the turned back of his master. Coming to a stop a few feet away, he slipped his hands casually into his pockets.

"Is there a problem?" he kept his voice cold and harsh, just the way he'd been taught.

"I see..." Dazai mused softly, "No, it's nothing. You defeated the fearsome, unyielding enemy and protected our comrades, Akutagawa. That's absolutely splendid."

Akutagawa's eyes narrowed slightly at the blasé tone of voice Dazai was employing.

"If it weren't for your powers," Dazai continued, his back still to his young charge, "They wouldn't have been able to defeat such a powerful enemy on their own in a single blow."

At last, Dazai turned to Akutagawa, his face calm and his eyes closed.

"Nothing less from my subordinate." he hummed, raising a finger into the air, pointing to the bodies behind him, "Thanks to you, all of the enemies we captured are dead. The soldiers that I worked so hard to lay a trap for just to keep alive..." he opened his un-bandaged eye with a slight sigh, "Now are gone. Even if one of them were alive, we could have found out their headquarters, motive, their commander's lineage and name, and the powers they use to command the organization... we could have gotten all of that important information."