Chapter Sixteen

Y/n was washing her hands in the bathroom when Higuchi exited one of the stalls behind her. It was late, several hours since Akutagawa had left for his mission. Y/n couldn't help notice her friend's subordinate had a morose air about her as she placed her napkin in her mouth, leaning over the sink to wash her hands. 

As Y/n dried her own hands, Higuchi shut the water off and began to do the same. Y/n looked around the space, catching sight of her favorite subordinate, recently promoted to full member of Black Lizard, hiding in the doorway.

"I look horrible." Higuchi muttered to herself under her breath, not seeming to have realized Y/n was there.

Higuchi let out a gasp as Gin ran up to her, holding a knife to her throat.

"Whats all this then?" Y/n asked, chuckling lightly as Hirotsu and Tachihara appeared in the doorway, "Did you guys have a meeting without me?"

"We were coming to find you when Gin caught sight of this one and ran off." Tachihara sighed, tilting his head in Higuchi's direction.

"Well then, that's enough for rehearsals, Gin." Y/n hummed, turning to her younger charge who withdrew her blade immediately, "What seems to be the problem here?"

 Higuchi coughed, struggling to catch her breath as she righted herself. 

"The Black Lizard?" she mumbled, confusion evident on her face.

"Gin's often stuck with dark jobs like infiltration and assassination like me." Y/n sighed, looking over at Gin with pride, "It's not unusual for either of us to have to slit the throat of one of our own when the higher ups command it."

"If it were for real, you wouldn't even have the time to be surprised." Tachihara added.

"So you're saying the boss will terminate me?" Higuchi asked.

"Not at the moment but I would suggest all of you start talking." Y/n smiled cordially, so cordially that Hirotsu, Tachihara, and Higuchi all felt a shiver go down their spines, "I don't know about tomorrow."

Gin knew better. She knew from experience there was no meaning behind Y/n's words, not now, anyway.

Hirotsu turned to Y/n.

"Akutagawa has been incapacitated by the enemy."

Y/n shot a look at Gin who was shaking where she stood, fists clenched in anger. Her heart dropped.

"What?"

"Have you come here to mock me?" Higuchi asked as Y/n walked over to her counter parts, Gin still standing on her own near the back of the room.

"If I were in your situation, I'd rethink my current position before an assassin arrives at my doorstep." Hirotsu responded, "He was your protection."

Y/n turned to Higuchi now. There was a fire in her eyes and the woman suddenly understood why she was called the Mafia's Lion. She was animalistic, hungry, in her rage.

"You along with Akutagawa are a strike force under the Boss's direct supervision." she hummed thoughtfully, "As such, you have the authority to give us orders. That makes you our superior but it is not your authority which compels us to obey you. They fear him." she gestured to Hirotsu and Tachihara behind her.

"During the time Akutagawa is incapacitated," Hirotsu cut in, placing a hand on Y/n's shoulder as he took a step forward, "do you possess something that motivates us to obey?"

 It was late when Y/n got the call. She wasn't fully asleep, but not exactly awake still either. She answered it without thought, bringing the phone to her ear.