Chapter Two

Akutagawa had been at the Mafia for a little more than a month. It was a difficult life, he was learning, but no more so than his life on the streets had been. It was just difficult in a different way and he was struggling to get used to it.

It was hard work. There was the combat training of course but, the Boss had insisted he be put in classes as well. A woman named Koyo became his tutor, along with a handful of rotating lower level mafiosos. He studied math and history, the normal things, but also Latin and ancient Greek. Mori seemed insistent that he not just look the part of the Mafia but that Akutagawa join the new standard for a classically educated, fearsome class of soldiers, able to pull quotes from any of the great authors in order to aid in the intimidation of the enemy.

"Your mind is always the strongest weapon you have." Mori had told him and so, though his body was bruised and sore and his eyes heavy with constant exhaustion, Akutagawa studied.

The biggest change had to do with his little sister: Gin. Akutagawa cared about her more than anyone else he'd ever met, more than anything at all. When their parents had passed, he had made his mother a promise: that he would protect and take care of his little sister until he physically could no longer do so.

The first week he'd been at the Mafia, all eyes had been on Akutagawa. He had guards outside the door to his dorm room and the ill fitting clothes he borrowed from his new superior, Dazai, singled him out as a newbie to all who passed him in the halls. Fairly quickly, his new Boss seemed to realize how little of a threat he posed to the Mafia. He'd been given clothes: a plain white button down, black dress pants and, of course, Dazai's coat. Apparently it was tradition in the Mafia that the member who brought a person into their ranks gave their new protege something that belonged to them. Akutagawa quite liked the coat and so, he quite liked the tradition. It was warm and solid and lent his ability a harsh darkness he felt suited the thing.

It was after the first week that he had begun to sneak out. Every other night, he'd worm his way out of the threatening towers he now called home to try and find his little sister. It had taken him another whole week to get his hands on her, Gin had always been good at hiding.

Once he found her, she wouldn't speak to him. Akutagawa couldn't complain, he had left her there on her own. He began to steal things, little odds and ends, leftovers from dinner, unclaimed clothes in the laundry room. Every other night he came to find Gin and every other night he brought her these presents, these minute treasures. A crust of bread, a new sweater, a cool button. She couldn't stay mad at him forever and she didn't.

He would arrive after sunset, the world bathed in the warm yellow glow of the street lights and they would sit and she would eat and he would tell her everything about his new life in the Mafia. They would talk and a few hours later, he would sneak back home.

This went on for a month. One whole month of Akutagawa being proud of himself for taking care of Gin, one whole month of subverting and stealth. That all changed when he reentered his room one night after visiting her to find Dazai sitting on his bed.

He was dressed in his normal work uniform: slightly rumpled dress shirt, tie, black pants, dark brown jacket. Akutagawa had realized when examining the one he'd been given that it wasn't actually dark brown but a rich black. Something about the boy who wore it simply made it seem lighter than it was.

"Where have you been?" Dazai asked, his voice calm and light hearted.

Akutagawa could sense the danger swimming underneath it. He hadn't known his new master for long but was already familiar with how cruel the boy could be.

"You've been sneaking out like this every few days for a month." Dazai continued, "You have some girlfriend? You spying for an enemy?" he jeered.

Akutagawa shook his head, a jolting and hesitant movement. Dazai sighed, pushing himself to his feet.

"So what is it?"

"I... my sister." Akutagawa gulped, "She's still out there. I've been-"

"You've been taking care of her! I see." Dazai laughed, a malignant little grin on his face, "You're sister. You have a sister and yet you asked for a reason to live. Did you not realize you already had one?"

"I wasn't thinking right." Akutagawa replied after a moment, "I... I promised I'd take care of her."

"Who'd you promise? Your mommy?" Dazai teased and Akutagawa nodded.

The pair fell silent for a moment. Suddenly, a bright mischief flooded his superiors eyes. Akutagawa felt a shiver go down his spine.

"I have an idea." he hummed happily, "Why don't you take me to meet this sister of yours?"

"Now?"

"Now."

That was how he'd ended up in the ally for the second time that night. It was narrow and full of trashcans, a small shelter built of wood scraps and cardboard at the back. Noise from the street beyond filtered in, muffled and Dazai could see there were the remnants of other similar structures rimming the walls of the little street.

"This is where she lives?" Dazai mused, looking around at his surroundings.

"Yes." Akutagawa nodded.

"So, where is she?"

"She's hiding. She's shy."

This seemed to catch Dazai's interest.

"Hiding you say..." he mused, a finger to his chin in thought.

"Gin, you can come out." Akutagawa called into the shadows, "It... This is my mentor, the one I was telling you about."

As if she was materializing from the air itself, Gin was suddenly beside Akutagawa, holding onto his arm shyly. Dazai smiled and crouched down so he was eye to eye with the young girl.

"You didn't say she was your little sister." he smiled, waving gently to Gin who looked up hesitantly at her big brother.

Akutagawa nodded, as if to tell her it was okay and she turned back to face Dazai, sending him a small wave of her own.

"You know," Dazai began, standing up straight once again, "I have a little sister too."

"You do?" Akutagawa asked, turning to him, his eyes wide with surprise.

"A half sister, but a sister none the less." Dazai nodded, "She is even in the Mafia with me, working for one of our many tactical units. Does your sister have an ability?"

Akutagawa shook his head hesitently.

"No matter. Mine doesn't either. Older siblings get all the gifts I suppose."

Dazai turned back to Gin who tucked a strand of her long, black hair behind her ear. He took in her appearance: ratty, small, and scraped knees.

"Is that something you would like?" he asked her, "To work with your brother in the Port Mafia."

Gin shot her brother a worried look before turning back to Dazai. Slowly, she nodded.

"Well then," Dazai smiled, "let's go talk to Mori and see what we can do."