31

Sorry about the brief hiatus, I was getting burnt out and this story is too important to me to rush it! <3

Kenny hated mud.

Sort of a random hate.

He hated how it oozed under every step that trampled over the muck. Even the feeling of it under the soles of his beat up shoes was enough to make him cringe.

Unfortunately, the entire walk to Stark's pond brought him nothing but broken sidewalks, and mud. It put Kenny into a funk - along with the other things going on, of course.

After school finally ended, their attempt to get Stan off the couch had been a pain in the ass. With it already being a difficult enough task by itself, Craig made it even harder when he refused to help Tweek and Leo save the drunk idiot from tumbling down the stairs; now, the whole mood of the group had shifted. It seemed like Kenny's mood rubbed off on them, too.

Kenny hadn't noticed that Leo spent the entire day drowning in his anxiety. Butters barely got to speak to him, and when he did, he only got short answers through puffs of cigarette smoke. Ah, the millions of distractions around them. It was making it hard to build a relationship.

That didn't change anything for him.

Getting distracted by his urge to be close to Kenny, Leo pulled him back from the group with a tug of his favorite orange jacket. He waited until he knew for sure the others weren't going to notice their departure, before he shoved him against the tree behind them, and passionately connected their lips.

He knew it wasn't the right time to pull his hair, yet Butters just couldn't seem to help himself. He needed to hear that low moan from his boyfriend. If they couldn't escape the detrimental things weaved through their lives, Leo wanted to memorize everything about him.

When they parted, Kenny was breathless from the look in Leo's eyes. His pupils were larger than normal, almost swallowing the overpowering light; Kenny held him firmly by the hips as he kissed him again hungrily. It was unbelievably dangerous how sweet he tasted, even through the stain of a cigarette on his lips.

Butters had to back away from him. God, he didn't want to, but they were with a group of friends held together by a single thread. They didn't need an awkward moment to throw everything to the wind again. Besides, that wasn't the only problem with them continuing.

Ugh, taking it slow fucking hurts! Kenny had to bend over for a moment to relinquish the filthy things going on in his mind before he could look back at him. The cheeky grin that seemed to adamantly exist when he was around Butters cut through his lustful bliss: "I missed you too, Leo."

Smiling at his taller boyfriend, Butters took his hand to guide them back to the trail their friends were walking. Leo pulled slightly ahead of Kenny with a renewed energy, their hearts thumping rapidly in sync as they hurried to catch up with the group.

They just needed each other.

When Craig noticed their return, he declined to make a smart ass comment, for once. Instead, he surprised Kenny by giving him a thumbs up. Funny how much shit could change.

Cresting the final hill, they noticed they were the last ones to arrive at the park. Admittedly, it had taken them a while to get Stan ready for reality - especially when he decided to fight Kenny while he tried to get him in the shower.

With everyone staring at them, Kenny absentmindedly traced the new bruise on his cheek from Stan. He wondered if they were going to add to it.

Surprisingly, neither group moved a muscle, or said a word. Kenny didn't know if he should be counting the peaceful minutes. Whatever was to come, he decided to take a seat on the random large rock on his left. Leo immediately went to stand next to him, ready to run if Kyle decided to try to stab him again.