13

After Kenny and Butters had sat in a stunned silence for well over a normal amount of time, Kyle, Stan and Craig had come out to see what they were doing. They sensed the awkwardness in the air as Kenny continuously smoked cigarette after cigarette, not speaking a word to any of them.

Since Kyle was the one who invited Butters into the group that day, he felt like everything was his fault; if he hadn't pushed the two of them together, maybe things wouldn't be so uncomfortable. Either way, Kyle decided to drag Stan home with him for the night, and give Kenny his space. They'd talk about it when Butters wasn't around.

While Kenny was hoping Craig would get the hint to go home so he could talk with Butters more, he stayed put in the living room. He had a feeling it had to do with what Craig told him earlier that day, but Kenny wasn't in the mood to be there mentally for someone right now. With what Butters had told him, his head was spinning endlessly, his mind desperate to find answers to the hundreds of questions he had. Butters wouldn't say anything more with Craig there, yet, he hadn't gone home.

Craig was oblivious to the tense silence as he scrolled on his phone, laid out on the large couch like he owned the place, as Butters stood next to the loveseat, avoiding Kenny's stare. Kenny knew from the moment he saw Leo that something was different about him, though he never expected him to be the only person in existence to remember him dying. He couldn't decide if this was a miracle or a calamity.

Why did he even tell me anyway? Kenny wondered as he scanned Butters' face with uncertainty. Was it to make himself feel better? Or.. does he care about me?

The silence was getting to Butters as he bounced his leg up and down, biting at his thumbnail with an anxious force. Kenny stood up with a sigh, prompting Butters' eyes to fall to him again, and follow him outside to the backyard. He was hoping Craig wouldn't notice where they were going, Kenny knew, from experience, that Craig wouldn't believe in his immortality - even if Butters was a witness.

Their attempt for privacy was successful as Kenny and Butters were now alone again. He would've been ecstatic for a moment like this in the past, but now, Kenny was starting to regret ever having talked to Leo. This just made it more complicated, and he couldn't see a way to build a normal relationship after this. Hell, nothing was normal in Kenny's life, though.

"Okay," Kenny started suddenly, sitting down on his usual spot on the steps. Butters was still pacing, cracking his knuckles every few minutes from how tightly he was applying pressure to his hands. Where am I supposed to start? I barely know him.. Guess there isn't a worse place to start from.. "I-I know we've had a rocky start since the beginning but.. can we just start over? I don't know anything about you, and you only know one thing about me, and it's.."

He stopped pacing as Kenny trailed off. Butters thought for a moment more, before facing him for the first time for quite a few minutes. "I think that's fair." He turned in a circle in his spot on the grass, holding out a hand as he faced Kenny again: "Hi, I'm Butters Stotch! What's your name?"

Fighting the urge to roll his eyes at Butters' literal start over, Kenny still couldn't help, but smirk as his rough hand glided into his soft one. "Nice to meet ya, Leo! I'm Kenny McCormick."

"Are you seriously still going to call me, Leo?" Butters groaned as he dropped Kenny's hand.

"Um, duh." Kenny chuckled at his pouting face as he tried to ignore how cute he was, and it didn't help that Butters was fighting off his own smile. "My friends call me 'Ken'."

Not being able to win the battle against his smile, Butters slight dimples poked out as he looked shyly at Kenny. "Alright, Ken.. w-where should we start?" It was a fair question, but it still created an awkward atmosphere once again, as Kenny knew where Butters really wanted to start. He couldn't blame Leo for being curious about what he had witnessed; still though, Kenny never thought he'd have to explain himself to someone. "I-"