16

Butters was only out for about twenty seconds, awake almost as soon as Kenny set him down on the couch. He jolted up in a panic before he remembered where he was, his eyes falling on Kenny tending to his injuries in front of him.

"S-Sorry 'bout that.." Butters murmured as Kenny pressed a warm rag to the gash above his eyebrow. Someone had hit him so hard that it busted his face open. Kenny couldn't speak from how hard he was gritting his teeth together as he soaked up the blood. He was finding a way to blame himself, yet again.

As the silence built tension between them, Butters' eyes started to well up with tears, prompting Kenny to stop what he was doing and finally look him in the face again. All it did was make him more angry though, he knew that this had happened because of him; Kenny threw the rag onto Leo's lap as he took to pacing around the living room, his fingers raking through his hair with every anxious step he took. It didn't help though, and despite Karen being upstairs, he decided he needed a cigarette right then. He hated seeing Butters this upset, yet at the same time, he didn't want to care about a liar.

Sitting on the opposite couch from Butters now, Kenny's leg bounced up and down as he sucked down his cigarette. He was trying to think of something to say, but what was he supposed to say? Was he the one who was supposed to start this conversation? He felt like he couldn't be the one, he would say something he might regret.

"Ken, are you ok?" The soft voice seemed to calm Kenny's nerves as he finished his third cigarette in five minutes, smashing the remains into the ashtray on the table in front of him. Butters instinctively flinched at the movement. "That was a stupid question wasn't it.."

Shaking his head in disbelief at the kind boy in front of him, Kenny chuckled dryly. He was starting to realize that Butters was terrified, and if he was guilty of spying for the Mob, Kenny didn't think he'd be acting like this. "Leo.. you're just as much of a victim as I am, aren't you?"

It wasn't what Butters expected him to say. He had been fully prepared for Kenny to rightfully cuss him out before he had the chance to explain himself, but once again, he surprised him. "I- yes."

"Well then, tell me your side." Kenny responded coolly, his hands clasped together in front of him with anticipation.

His expression was unreadable to Butters, but he took a deep breath in, and continued anyway: "When I got home with the car, my parents were furious and my father.. well, he always thinks it's best to beat insubordination outta ya." Kenny cringed at this, understanding the scars that he had seen before. "Yeah.. my parents are part of the Irish Mob, and we moved here to spy on you, and I guess conquer South Park. Um, the Cartel has been running things here for a few years, so I'm guessing they want the turf."

Before Butters could continue, Kenny held a finger up and went into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee - he was gonna need it for all the shit he was about to listen to. Once he was back in front of Butters, Kenny was ready for him to continue: "My parents have tried to force me to be part of the Mob since I can remember. You were the first official assignment I was given.. and I couldn't do it. They'll see me as a traitor if they find out."

"Couldn't do what?" Kenny interrupted, flinching slightly as the coffee machine beeped. He was too on edge for any other noise. "What do they want with me?"

Biting his thumb nail for a minute, Leo looked sad. "I couldn't stalk you and report on your life, Ken. They told me that you were a notorious gang member who would kill anyone without hesitation.. but the more interactions I had with you, the more I saw the bullcrap my parents were filling my head with. They've lied to me about nearly everything in my life, but Eric-"

"Cartman." Interjecting once again, but for good reason this time, Kenny had to let him know where he stood with Cartman. "We call him Cartman. He doesn't deserve the respect of a first name, Leo."