26, sherlock holmes.

——

——

IN the living room sits Ellie, watching the windows on the seat adjacent to the couch. She can hear the wolves prancing around the outside of the home, their paws thudding against the mud, accompanied by Bellas shaky breaths and strained heart.

It's been only a few days since the shapeshifters joined their side, and not much has happened, besides a phone call from Charlie to Bella and her bump growing even larger, still, at an unprecedented rate. Sam's pack has been prowling nearby, but they never venture any closer than the tree line around the property.

Everyone has grown thirsty, not having fed in weeks now. Their eyes are all obsidian and the purple shadows beneath them have become more visible. It's especially hard for Ellie, still being a newborn and all. Thankfully, Bellas blood isn't appealing to Ellie, and it's even less now with all the medication in her bloodstream.

As the sky begins to lighten, Bella begins to stir awake for the first time in nearly twelve hours. She goes to sit herself up, with the help of Jake, but then she sharply gasps, nearly falling back on the couch but Jake holds her up.

Ellie, Rosalie, Edward and Carlisle are immediately by her, worried looks on each of their faces.

"Get her up to my office." Carlisle instructs as Edward gently lifts Bella up, immediately hurrying upstairs with her in his arms. He places her down on the hospital bed in Carlisle's office as Carlisle readies the equipment.

Ellie holds onto Bellas hand, Bellas teary brown eyes peer into Ellies jet black ones, making Ellie frown deeply.

Carlisle does an x-ray, showing them that Bella has a fractured rib. The rib hasn't punctured through anything yet, but it's only time before it does.

"Human babies crack ribs." Rosalie tells Bella after they went over the scans, her voice is smooth and assuring.

Edward shakes his head. "Carlisle, tell her what you told me." He says, his voice unwavering from its now ever present dullness as he glances at the doctor.

"The fetus is... incompatible with your body. Its far too strong and isn't allowing your body to get the nutrition it needs. Its growing stronger by the minute and I cannot stop the growth or slow it down. Its starving you." Bella looks up at Carlisle as he speaks to her, she nods, showing him that she's listening, or at least hearing the words he says. "At this rate, your heart is going to give out before you deliver."

Ellie isn't exactly surprised to hear this, just by looking at Bella you can see her draining health. Though she knows Carlisles words won't get through to Bella at all, not with Rosalie in her ear telling her this is all normal.