17, history.

——

——

ELLIE watches the drops of rain as they slide down the glass window of Bellas rumbling truck.

The truck then hits a bump, jostling her aggressively. "Sorry, Sorry!" Bella hurries to apologize.

Ellie sighs but doesn't respond, instead keeping her eyes glued to the glass. Bella just turns the radio up a little louder and focuses on the road.

It's been four days since Ellie returned to Forks, and one since the newborns had been eradicated. Ellie compliantly went to La Push with Charlie yesterday, though she was uncharacteristically quiet the whole time.

And when the Volturi guard appeared in the field, Demetri looked worse than the last time Bella had seen him. He was angry, too. He was the one who killed Bree, even though Felix was the one ordered to do it.

The last four days have been hell for the both of them. Ellie is grieving, still petrified of vampires, and theres an ache on her heart. Plus, Annies parents had called her yesterday, asking if she wanted to help plan Annies funeral — she had to tell them she'd call them back, because she couldn't think of the funeral any longer.

Demetri is back in Italy, with an ache on his heart, too, though it's accompanied by the feeling of hollowness. His finger lingered over Ellies contact for a while, and hes still contemplating it, but he will respect Ellies wishes.

Bellas truck turns down a long driveway, and then a large house comes into view past a meadow. Ellie can recognize Edwards volvo in the driveway, and she blanches.

"We're coming here?" She speaks up for the first time in an hour.

Bella turns her truck off and nods. "Yeah."

Ellie sighs sharply. "Why didn't you tell me?" Her voice is snippy.

Bella holds back a scoff, because she did tell Ellie, but apparently Ellie was not listening. "I did tell you. Back at the house, in the kitchen." She reminds her.

Ellie remembers and blinks. "Oh." She looks away from Bella. "Sorry. I just —" She sighs, glancing up at the large house, "vampires aren't my favorite creatures right now. And this place is full of them."

"They aren't like that, Ellie. They don't even drink human blood." Bella still finds it odd to speak openly about vampires with Ellie, but shes getting used to it, sort of.

"Have they killed anybody before?" Ellie asks, finally looking at Bella.

Bella pinches her lips into a line. "Those aren't my stories to tell."