16, fear.

——

——

ELLIE can feel herself shaking. And she can see the blood covering her hands and shirt, also the ground, as the crimson liquid leaks from Annies neck.

Ellie crawls towards Annie, she grabs her head gently, placing her shaky hand on the side of her bloodied cheek.

"Annie," Ellie quivers her name out, "wake up." She speaks softly, but Annies eyes stay shut, and her limbs remain slack. She feels cold, dead.

She runs a hand through Annies bloody blonde hair as she sobs and tears drip from her eyes.

Demetri rushes for Ellie, he kneels down by her side and places a gentle hand on her shaking arm, but when Ellie feels the touch of his cold, dead skin, she jumps and jerks her arm away.

Demetri frowns but doesn't comment on it. "Ellie, he has been dealt with. You're safe now." He assures softly.

"Shes dead." She says, voice still quivering. "T- That vampire he—" Ellie is interrupted by a sob lurching from her throat. She looks up from the side of Annies calm face and up at Demetri, and all she sees is what he is, a vampire. Not his gorgeous features or the way he makes her feel, his vampirism. The thing that killed Annie. "Get away from me," She says quietly, but it feels as though she shouted it, with the way it makes Demetri flinch back.

But he complies and backs away from her, leaving her alone on the ground, though his heart hurts as he watches her. He can see shes in pain, but he cannot comfort her, because she is scared of him. She fears him and that makes him detest himself for what he is for the first time in a thousand years.

He never dreamed of this happening, he never wanted Ellie to be scared to look into his eyes.

Ellie sits with Annie for ten more minutes, stroking her hair and praying that she'd just wake up, that this was all a joke or a dream — but it isn't, Annie is dead.

After she makes the revelation, she gently moves away from Annie and rises to her shaky feet. She backs away from Annie, keeping her teary eyes on her still body as she goes.

Ellie wipes her bloodied hands on her pants before she presses the button to open the elevator, and the second it opens, she throws herself inside and roughly shoves her finger into the button which has her floor number on it.

When the elevator doors close, she begins to sob even more than while she was holding Annie. Her chest hurts, her heart hurts, everything hurts.

Annie, one of the closest people to her, is gone. Forever. A certain kind of bond that she shared with no other but Annie, has vanished, and the thought completely rattles Ellie.