21, aftermath.

——DEMETRI stayed next to Ellie for three whole days, never moving once

——
DEMETRI stayed next to Ellie for three whole days, never moving once.

He listened as her heart thudded to a stop, and as the  warmth left her skin as he held onto her hand.

Behind her closed eyelids, Ellie is beginning to stir awake and hear things — birds outside, the rush of the river near the home, and cars passing by on the road near the Cullen home.

She can feel someone holding onto her hand, and a warm, comforting scent swims around the room and she knows it's Demetri.

She opens her eyes and immediately sees him, their crimson eyes lock and that familiar, euphoric haze surrounds them once more.

He looks different, more defined and clear. Ellie grips his hand tightly with hers. "Dem-" She begins to speak but stops herself short after hearing how completely different her voice sounds; it's much smoother, a little higher pitched, and clearer.

Demetri watches her, a tiny yet wary smile on his lips. Hes worried about how she may react, though he will completely understand if she is not okay with what happened, but she could become quite violent, she is a newborn, after all.

"Hello, my love." Demetri speaks softly to her.

She begins to sit up, and he helps her do it slowly. He keeps his hand on her lower back. "Hi." She says, listening to her new voice.

She gazes around the room, suddenly seeing so much more than she ever has before. And then she looks down at her hands, seeing that they're pale and smooth.

She begins to remember the searing pain, the burning all throughout her body, and Jane. Her eyes widen and she whirls her head up towards Demetri.

"What happened?" She asks, because why did Jane do what she did? Ellie has no clue. Her memories are blurry, but she can clearly remember the way Janes eyes locked into hers before her teeth sunk into her neck, the intent behind them.

"Jane... turned you." Demetri answers slowly.

"Why?" Ellie asks, voice louder now.

Demetri looks down at he and Ellies connected hands. "I am not sure." He says. "Though I suspect one of the kings ordered it."

"Did you know it would happen?" She asks.

Demetri immediately shakes his head. "No, of course, not. If I had, I would have stopped her." Even if it would have angered the kings and probably resulted in him being beheaded.