12, urge.

——

——

"I'LL go out my makeup on and then we'll leave, alright?" Annie says but scurries off right away, not giving Ellie the chance to even answer.

Almost immediately, Demetri is back at the dining table with Ellie, he looks less happy this time, though, and more worried. "What?" Ellie asks at his displeased expression.

"You're going out there?" He asks softly, worry evident in his tone.

Ellie nods slowly. "Yeah, but we'll be fine."

Demetri isn't too keen on his soulmate venturing out into the chaos of Seattle, and while he and the other guards have discovered the newborn army doesn't go outside durning the day, he still doesn't want to risk anything.

"Its dangerous." Demetri says meekly and Ellie can't help but smile at his worrying.

"I know, but we won't get attacked in broad daylight. Plus, I was hoping you'd come?" Ellie suggests with a quiet voice. "Keep us safe?" She wants to also say she just wants to spend more time with him, but she doesn't.

Demetri glances towards the window and sees the rays of the sun pouring down from the clouds, he feels his stomach drop. Of course the one time he has to go outside the sun decided to peek through the grey sky.

Ellie follows his gaze and realizes shes forgotten he was a vampire and something must happen to him in the sunlight—she assumes he'll burn to a crisp.

Demetri supposes he'll just have to stay in the shadows until the sun is covered by a cloud or sets. He'll have to wear his cloak and keep the hood up all day, which is a nuisance but if its to keep Ellie safe, he'll endure it.

"You won't be able to see me, but I'll be watching you." Demetri tells Ellie after a quiet few seconds pass.

Ellie pushes her eyebrows together. "That sounds creepy."

Demetri cracks a smile. "I meant no creepiness. Just try to get home before the sun sets, please? I can protect you but nighttime is the most dangerous." He almost gets chills thinking about how many newborn vampires will likely be scurrying about when the sun fades beyond the horizon.

Ellie nods. "Yeah, thats when we were planning on being back anyways."

Demetri feels little relief but he relaxes a tad at Ellies words, though his face is still tense. "Good."

Ellie notices his tense expression and takes a cautious step towards him. "Really, Demetri, you don't have to worry." She tries to make her voice smooth, convincing.