I've noticed how he only ever speaks to Kieran and pointedly avoids talking directly to me. He probably thinks he's too good to speak to a lowly human like myself.

Hoity-toity asshole.

I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth as I tighten the straps on my shoulder. Neither of them answer my question.

"That's fine," I continue, feeling like I'm talking with myself. "I suppose I'll just ask her when I meet her."

It's a risky statement, but I'm operating off the assumption that Kieran and Mason will expect me to make a good impression on these gods. They're coming to them asking for a favor, and I doubt they want their 'gift' to be rude.

The gods seem like assholes, and if there's anything I know about assholes, it's that they get angry when people don't know who they are.

"She's a god," Kieran finally answers.

I raise a brow, surprised my attempt worked—even if the answer he gave me is less than helpful. I already know she's a god.

"What does she want with humans?" I pry.

Kieran turns and peers at me over his shoulder, his cold gaze calculating. I wonder what thoughts are running through his head, but I have a feeling I already know. He wants me to stop speaking, and he's likely debating letting Mason kill me.

"Yahweh created the humans, and he keeps a close eye on your realm," Kieran explains. I perk up, pleased I'm getting an honest answer. "He's stronger than the other gods, and he doesn't let them near your kind. Once you're outside your realm, though, you're fair game—and valuable. Zaha will keep you as a pet."

You've got to be kidding me.

"I'm not a pet," I argue.

Mason snorts, and I fight the urge to grab and throw a rock at his head. I might risk it if he weren't behind me, watching my every move.

"You are," Kieran insists.

The words are mocking, but he sounds so casually serious as he says them. I hate it, hate that they've taken one look at me and decided I'm less than them. I don't know what else I'd expect from a prince and whatever the fuck Mason is.

The Prince's Bitch.

I bet that's his official royal title.

"Kie," Mason says, interrupting the budding argument between Kieran and me. "Cut right."

Kieran immediately adjusts his path, curving to the right at a moment's notice. I do the same, making my movements as aggressive as possible so everybody can see how upset I am, but those plans are ruined as my foot gets caught on a log and I pivot forward.

I catch myself quickly, but embarrassment still heats my cheeks as I huff and straighten myself back out.

Kieran turns to peer at me over his shoulder, his eyebrow raised, and Mason lets out a breathy laugh.

"Why are you so desperate to get to Elora?" Kieran asks.

I frown. "Who said I'm desperate?"

Kieran acts like he knows everything, but I think he's blowing smoke out of his ass. He's comfortable making lofty assumptions, which feels right up the alley for a prince. I bet he thinks he's god's gift to the faerie realm.

A few moments of tense silence pass. Kieran probably expects me to tell him why I'm so desperate, but I pointedly refuse to acknowledge his rude question.

He and Mason can force me to travel with them, but they can't force me to speak.

I have no reason to tell these men a damn thing about me and my time in the faerie realm, and I don't intend to. They're just going to use whatever I say against me, and there's no point in risking dragging Lill down with me.