32

I finally found the courage to see Nailea after what happened with me and Sophia. I held a bouquet of her favorite tulips tightly in my hands as I walked down the hospital hallway.

When I reached her room, my heart sank. Sophia was sitting beside Nailea, and I froze in shock. Should I go in? Should I turn back?

"Hello, are you here visiting?" a friendly nurse asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I nodded, feeling a lump in my throat. "Yes," I managed to say as the nurse smiled and opened the door to Nailea's room.

Sophia's gaze met mine, her eyes betraying a mix of surprise and sadness. "She's doing much better," the nurse informed us, glancing at Nailea's chart.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped into the room. Nailea lays motionless on the bed, her eyes closed. I gently placed the tulips beside her and reached out to stroke her hair.

"I'll leave you two alone. If you need anything, just come to the front desk," the nurse said before leaving, closing the door behind her.

The room descended into an uncomfortable silence, broken only by the steady hum of medical equipment.

Sophia broke the silence, her voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't know you were coming to see her," she said, her eyes brimming with tears.

I swallowed hard, not sure how to respond. "Yeah, me neither," I admitted, feeling a knot form in my stomach.

Sophia wiped her eyes, her voice trembling with emotion. "I can't believe I did that to her. She's my best friend," she confessed, her guilt palpable.

I stood there, at a loss for words, my heart heavy with regret and uncertainty. How could I comfort Sophia when I was struggling to come to terms with my own feelings?

Nailea, still unconscious, lays between us, her presence a poignant reminder of the bond we shared, now strained by recent events.

"I didn't mean for any of this to happen," Sophia whispered, her voice trembling with emotion. "I never wanted to hurt her."

Her words hung in the air, heavy with regret and sorrow.

"I'm assuming Gavi knows..." Sophia says, pulling me from my thoughts.

I look at her, furrowing my brow in confusion. "What do you mean?" I ask, my curiosity piqued.

"He unfollowed me on everything," she reveals, her voice tinged with sadness.

My heart sinks as I realize the implications of her words. "Yeah, I went to see him, and he didn't take it so great," I confess, my gaze returning to Nailea.

"God, I'm such a bad person." She murmurs.

"You're not a bad person, Sophia," I reassure her softly, hoping to offer some comfort.

But Sophia's fears persist, her thoughts drifting to the potential fallout of our actions. "If he reacted like that, imagine how everyone will if they find out," she remarks, her words echoing my own concerns.

My mind races with the implications of our secret being exposed, the thought of facing the judgment and condemnation of those we hold dear filling me with dread. But amidst my fears, a more pressing question lingers. How would Nailea react?

The mere thought of her discovering the truth sends a shiver down my spine. How could I face her, knowing the pain and betrayal we had caused? The thought is almost unbearable, and yet, it looms ominously over us, a specter of guilt and remorse.