3

10 hours later
~

As soon as the phone rang, Pedri knew something was wrong. It was Sofia. Nailea's best friend on the other end, and her voice was shaking.

"Pedri, I don't know how to tell you this," she said.
"But Nailea's been in an accident. She's not doing well."

Pedri's heart sank. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "What happened?" he asked. "Is she okay?"

Sofia hesitated for a moment, and then finally spoke. "She's in a coma," she said. "We don't know how long she'll be out, or when she'll wake up."

Pedri felt like he had been punched in the gut. He couldn't believe that this was happening. He asked for the name of the hospital, and Sofia immediately gave him the information.

He hung up the phone, feeling numb. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to be by Nailea's side, to hold her hand and tell her that everything was going to be okay. But he knew that he couldn't do that. Not yet.

Instead, he went to the hospital, and he waited. He waited for hours, watching as doctors and nurses rushed in and out of Nailea's room. He watched as her family came and went, their faces etched with worry and fear.

And then, finally, he was allowed to see her. She looked so small and fragile, lying there in her hospital bed. But Pedri knew that she was strong. He knew that she would fight her way back, no matter what.

And so, he stayed by her side, talking to her, holding her hand, and telling her that he loved her. He knew that she couldn't hear him, but he didn't care. He just wanted her to know that he was there, and that he wasn't going anywhere.