29

"I'm really scared that if I wake up, everything will be different, and things won't be the same," I admit, thinking about how it might affect the people I care about. "Change is part of life. Things move on, but the important people stick around." Tania, the lady in the room next to mine says. Her eyes glance at her husband, engrossed in a book.

"Aren't you worried your husband might leave?" I ask her. Tania turns to me with a comforting smile, "Yeah, it was scary. But he stayed with me, even when others said he should move on because that's what I would've wanted him to do" she says. "and yes and some point I did want him to move on," she confessed.

Wanting to understand more, I question her decision, "If you love him, why tell him to move on?" Tania's smile softens, showing the depth of her feelings. "I do love him, but I don't want to hold him back. I don't want him to stop living, especially when I can't predict when I'll wake up," she shares.

Taking a deep breath, I look over at my still body, where my mom sits, gently brushing my hair. Tania notices my emotions, "What's bothering you?" She asks, I feel the tears in my eyes. "I'm scared he's going to move on." I confess. The room feels heavy with uncertainty and the fear of changes that waking up might bring.

Tania reaches out, placing a reassuring hand on mine. "Change is scary, but it's a part of life. You can't control everything, but you can cherish the moments you have," she says.